Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just curious, is there a low temp limit for water testing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ridgecrest, CA

Just curious, is there a low temp limit for water testing?

Is there a low range temp that might influence the test water for best/accurate results?
    I have the ColorQ, and at least the CYA should have the water to be between 70 and 80 according to LaMotte for their tester.

Any such cold water issues for CL, Ph, Alk, etc. that you know of?

Just curious.
    I don't "close" the pool as such, just run the safety cover back once a week to brush and test the water.
    Anal, I know.
    My first winter.

My current water temp is about 42, the FC is only dropping about 1/2 point per week, from 4.30 to about 3.80 (CYA of about 30 taken into account). This seems a minor drop to me.
    But then, I was wondering if the colder water was messing up my readings somehow, hence the question.
    13.5k gal, IG plaster, DE, Pentair 4060, 6lbs DE, 3 hp Pentair Vari-flow, Auto water make-up, Cover Pools Automatic Safety cover, Hayward Navigator vacuum, LED light.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Just curious, is there a low temp limit for water testin

Some tests can be effected by water temperature, therefore the best advice is bring the sample indoors and let it warm up to room temperature for half an hour or so before testing.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Just curious, is there a low temp limit for water testin

Please be aware that we have seen numerous reports of inaccurate results coming out of the ColorQ. The test kits that we recommend do not have some of the limitations, like a max of 10ppm FC. In addition, the drop based kits that we recommend do not require color matching, you count drops and observe a color change.

Low temp can affect the turbidity CYA test, but I am not sure how it affects the ColorQ.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!