Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ok if pool cover stretches under snow?

1. Back To Top    #1

ok if pool cover stretches under snow?

I saw some similar topics but just to confirm. .

Is it OK to have snow on your pool cover? I have a mesh cover and with maybe 4 or 5 inches of snow its sagging probably a good foot.

Also, stupid of me not to think about this before, but does snow on the pump or filter damage that equipment?

Thank you.
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ok if pool cover stretches under snow?

If it is a safety cover, you generally want the water within 15" of the cover when it's dry, and the cover will settle down and sit on the water when you get snow on it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Snow on the pump isn't the best; try to put a bucket over it to protect it. The filter should be fine as long as it was completely drained out (the frozen water will crack the inside pipes if not)
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ChewBiscuit
    I saw some similar topics but just to confirm. .

Is it OK to have snow on your pool cover? I have a mesh cover and with maybe 4 or 5 inches of snow its sagging probably a good foot.

Also, stupid of me not to think about this before, but does snow on the pump or filter damage that equipment?

Thank you.

Yes, my mesh cover sags as well. As for the pump, it should be covered as packed snow and ice inside probably isnt the best for it. For mine I made a cover. I took a rubbermaid storage tub and cut a slot in it to go around the pipe, so far it is working great. You dont want it completely sealed really as you want air movement to dry moisture out.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG