Problems with Polaris 280

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
I'm having problems with my Polaris 280. The wheels stop turning every few minutes. I can pick up the unit and spin the wheels manually and it will work for a while but the wheels eventually will stop moving and the unit will creep from the water coming out of the back of the unit until it hits a wall.

The reverse valve (is that the correct term?) seems to be working fine. The unit will back-up every few minutes.

The filter seems clean and water does not appear to be flowing from the pressure release value near the wall connector. I did notice a small leak of water around one of the hose connectors just above the reverse value when I picked up the hose. The unit is three years old. The pump appears to be working properly--and the unit will move normally for a bit after I manually turn the wheels. I'm guessing the gears are worn. Any ideas would be appreciated.

[update] I found at least one of the problems. The front wheel on the side with the two large wheels and the small wheel in between was loose. The two screws that hold the wheel housing (correct term?) were loose and I tightened them. The wheels seem to be operating normally.

But I'm wondering if there is another problem. The unit has a tendancy to get to the bottom of one side of the pool and then slowly crawl against the side/bottom, like it's fighting it, until it reaches the corner and then it will slowly rise until it finally turns around. I don't recall it doing that before. Could it be that the rubber wheel coverings are getting worn and aren't providing enough traction? This only happens when it's going in one direction, into the side of the pool. When it's going in the opposite direction (turning away from the wall) it seems to work normally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.