LED Pool Lights - Can you offer good Manufacturer

Apr 12, 2013
I have 5 LED lights in my pool (Built Nov 2012).

Two of the five lights failed, the manufacturer is: Savi Pool and Spa (http://www.nextstepproduct.com/savi/Melody.html)

I am pretty disappointed in these lights for the following reasons:
1. 2 of the 5 lights failed in 1 year. :grrrr:
2. They are not very bright. :grrrr:

Can anyone offer another Manufacturer that will last 5 years or more?

I really don't care what kind of light, I just want the lights to be bright and reasonable price to replace. I don't care about the electrical power usage.

These LED lights screw into a 1.5 in threaded pvc pipe.

Well, the 1.5" makes life difficult. I had a pool light that used a 50W MR16 halogen which I refitted with a quality LED MR16 and its brighter. Single colour?

MR16's are 51mm in diameter. MR11's are 1.375" so you may be able to use them.

Short of making something custom (using high quality LED chip-on-board components, or cree mc-E) ~ maybe something using MR11 components from cutter.com.au - they have multi-emitter MR11 arrays that blow halogen out of the water.

Depends how electrically and mechanically handy you are...

Any chance they are still under warranty from your pool builder? You might be stuck with those lights as I don't know of any type of light that replaces those.

Edited: I just looked up the warranty and they have a two year warranty. Get your pool builder to replace them and make sure everything is connected according to Savi's instructions.

Thanks to all that replied.

And so I hired a reputable pool builder in Las Vegas Nevada...

I only wished that he would have explained the pros and cons of installing different types of lighting.

I would never have installed 1.5" PVC for the Savi LED lights, as it appears there is only 1 vendor (Savi Pool and Spa), who makes them. That's insane. What if I don't like them? What if the company goes out of business? What if the company stops making them and changes design again.

After seeing how dis-organized, greedy and Mafia type pricing the whole industry is, I can understand why.

If I was a Pool Builder, I would design a pool light cavity (niche), that would accept every type of pool light on the market. I am sure there are less than 5 common types. Good chance that someone has already made a piece of plastic or something that can be plastered into a wall and could accept a standard 110 volt pool light or an LED light from Savi. Something... Anything...

Yeah, the lights are under warranty... So what... once the lights get a full two years of time. I know the lights will fail again. They barely made one year, so you know this problem is going to come back again once they are out of warranty.

The company that makes these lights have no reason to make them reliable, they could easily put a counter in the electronics that cause the light to stop working after 2.1 years of service. They just want to sell you more lights. I have yet to own a single Halogen, LED, or Compact Fluorescent light that has worked for more that 2 years. I am sure decent lighting exists (not just for pools), but the market is heck bent on selling cheap junk to cheap US citizens. So it makes it extremely hard to find quality objects (lights), in a made in china society.

I hate this about our country today, 95% of the products we buy (not me), are disposed of. Nobody seems to want to pay for quality any more.

One thing is for sure that once these lights fail and are out of warranty, I will not purchase replacement lights from Savi. I am stubborn enough to either build my own light to fit in that 1.5" cavity, or just not have any lights in the pool.

-Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far so good on my Pentair 5G.

family member has had them ~4yrs. still going strong.

I have no clue on the connections...but I do want to change my spa light out with a LED now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.