Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool too cold for SWG. CL choice while OOT ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool too cold for SWG. CL choice while OOT ?

My pool is too cold for SWG to work. It's been very cold (by Bay Area standards) here recently and the pool temp is 49F. I've been adding bleach to maintain my FC, but we will be going on vacation for a couple of weeks. What's the best thing to use ?

My current numbers;
    FC: 5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 130
    CH: 275
    CYA: 90
    Salt: 3900

Given my already high CYA, I'm wary of using triclor as it adds CYA to the pool. Is two weeks a short enough time that I don't really need to be concerned about the amount of CYA added by these ? Is there a better choice ?

Thanks !
    Free Form IG Pool with overflow connected Spa. 28K gal. Finished Sept. 2013.
    Wet Edge Primera Stone (Tahoe Coast)
    Intelliflo VS Pump. Paramount Cleaning System. IntelliClor IC40 SWG. Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool too cold for SWG. CL choice while OOT ?

Do you have a solar cover? I would bring it up to SLAM level and cover it. The FC consumption with no sunlight and cold temps will be very, very slow.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I don't have a cover. I thought about SLAM level too, but was concerned that FC dissipate too quickly without some sort of generator given the organics that get into my pool (still lots of leaf drop going on here).
    Intelliflo VS Pump. Paramount Cleaning System. IntelliClor IC40 SWG. Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you really do not have any options. Raise the FC up to SLAM level and deal with the results when you get home (may need to SLAM it).
    Or do that and float some tablets ... but for your size pool, it will take a lot of tabs to keep the FC level up and that just means more CYA added as well.

Only other alternative is to get someone to swing by every few days and throw some bleach in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

How many ppm are you losing a day? If it calculates to be between 1-2 ppm a day, then raising it to SLAM level, 35 ppm, should be fine for two weeks. I would think your pool should be using less than 1 ppm a day with those temps.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

For the last several days it has been between 0 to 1 ppm per day. I didn't test yesterday, but I plan on testing today to see what the delta is for two days when I've added no CL.

Thanks !

7. Back To Top    #7

Wanted to report back that raising to SLAM level (or close to it 28 ppm was all I could do with bleach on hand) and leaving the pool unattended for slightly more than 2 weeks worked great. My FC level is still at 10 ppm. Too cold for my SWG still so I'll just let the FC naturally drop to 5-6 ppm and keep it there with bleach.

Thanks again for all the great advice !

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Nice work, Spider850.

Your thread is a classic application of the TFPC method. You understood WHY you were adding FC, you tested and dosed carefully, and you got the predicted outcome.

TFPC is not just about buying bleach from the grocery store......it's understanding how to use and apply your knowledge of pool water management.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School