Height of waterline tile?

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I am an architect designing a pool for a custom home. We found a nice large format tile from the Netherlands that we would like to use for the waterline tile. The manufacturer confirmed that it will work in a pool. It's dimensions are 3.75" high by 23.5" wide. My questions are:

1. What is the recommended height of waterline?
2. Why must we have waterline tile? Is it possible to simply run the pool plaster all the way up to the underside of the coping?

Thanks in advance for you help!

1. Usually, the tile line is 6" tall ... I think that is what you are asking. Although you could make it whatever height you want.
2. Plaster is not meant to be exposed to the elements (air/sun) ... some pebble products have no issue with the exposure. There will always be line of mineral deposits around the surface of the water due to evaporation, especially if your water is high in CH. I would imagine that this would be more difficult to remove if it was not on tile.

If the pool is not straight sided, I would imagine that a 23.5" long tile is going to cause issues unless you plan on cutting it a lot. Even my 6" tile required some cutting for some of the curves in my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.