How to start following TFP method?

Mark R

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2013
Desert Southwest, USA
I want to do my my own chemical testing and am going to use the site suggestion on BBB. What's the first thing I need to do after I buy the 3 B's.

I just received my TF-100 test kit 2 days ago in the mail. After I call and cancel the service, I'm going to start the year off right and do it myself. I can pretty much handle any plumbing issues that come up, but I'm far from a being a chemical expert after all these years of owning a pool.

I checked my local grocery store today and they carry everything I need, I found the bleach at over 8%, so that should work for now.

What's your suggestions? The water here is very hard in the desert area around Las Vegas, NV

I'm still working on my signature for what the water test shows as of now.

Thank you

First, we are working to switching from calling it the BBB method to the TFP method because (as you are an example) people think they need to buy all 3 of the chemicals.

You need to realize that what we teach is to only add what your pool NEEDS based on your test results. So, generally it is not a good idea to stock up on any chemicals (except maybe bleach). Many members (myself included) NEVER need baking soda or borax.

So, run a full set of tests using the test kit that you have and we can then figure out what you should do going forward.
Here are some more detailed instructions: Extended Test Instructions

You probably won't need baking soda and borax is totally optional, and I advise against it until you get used to balancing everything without it. Why confuse things with an extra variable?

If a service has been maintaining the pool, you will probably discover the CYA is too high. Because you live in Vegas, the CH will also be way higher than the recommended levels. You'll have to accept that and live with it. If you haven't read extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html yet, do so. Especially study the CH and CYA test directions for high CYA and high CH.

Post a set of numbers and you will get advise on what to do. Don't just test, plug in the numbers, and start dumping chemicals in based on some arbitrary target. You might need to drain some water, or you might need to use some different target adjusted for your situation, so be patient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.