Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to start following TFP method?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to start following TFP method?

I want to do my my own chemical testing and am going to use the site suggestion on BBB. What's the first thing I need to do after I buy the 3 B's.

I just received my TF-100 test kit 2 days ago in the mail. After I call and cancel the service, I'm going to start the year off right and do it myself. I can pretty much handle any plumbing issues that come up, but I'm far from a being a chemical expert after all these years of owning a pool.

I checked my local grocery store today and they carry everything I need, I found the bleach at over 8%, so that should work for now.

What's your suggestions? The water here is very hard in the desert area around Las Vegas, NV

I'm still working on my signature for what the water test shows as of now.

Thank you
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to start following TFP method?

First, we are working to switching from calling it the BBB method to the TFP method because (as you are an example) people think they need to buy all 3 of the chemicals.

You need to realize that what we teach is to only add what your pool NEEDS based on your test results. So, generally it is not a good idea to stock up on any chemicals (except maybe bleach). Many members (myself included) NEVER need baking soda or borax.

So, run a full set of tests using the test kit that you have and we can then figure out what you should do going forward.
    Here are some more detailed instructions: Extended Test Instructions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You probably won't need baking soda and borax is totally optional, and I advise against it until you get used to balancing everything without it. Why confuse things with an extra variable?

If a service has been maintaining the pool, you will probably discover the CYA is too high. Because you live in Vegas, the CH will also be way higher than the recommended levels. You'll have to accept that and live with it. If you haven't read extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html yet, do so. Especially study the CH and CYA test directions for high CYA and high CH.

Post a set of numbers and you will get advise on what to do. Don't just test, plug in the numbers, and start dumping chemicals in based on some arbitrary target. You might need to drain some water, or you might need to use some different target adjusted for your situation, so be patient.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Your very first step is testing and posting the results here. You can only determine what you need to buy (if anything) as a result of posting test results
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with everything said above. Good advice from some of the best !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks ! I'll post chem numbers soon
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

7. Back To Top    #7

Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.