New Pool owner (and new pool) - Newcastle Australia

Brand spanking new fibreglass in-ground pool, 6 X 3.5meter, Hurlcon VX3 SWCG, VX100 Cartridge filter, all installed by Leisure Pools in Thornton. No problems with the installation, but more so with the actions of the recommended local pool shop.

After heavy rain, we ended up with a mustard algae infestation (brown dust that 'poofed' into nothing when swept, and settled overnight). Free chlorine level was 2.5ppm, TA about 120, CC 2.5, CYA 30 (lots of rain - 120mm in a week).

First Algae event...

Pool shop advised 500mls of copper based algaecide, and to dump a 15 litre container of 12.5% chlorine into the pool when it went bright white and cloudy (something about chlorine break point), along with 1 litre of clarifier - $130 worth of 'bioguard' chemicals. Cleared up overnight, and thought nothing much more of it.

One week later...

Took water sample to same pool shop, they diagnosed 2.5ppm FC, and 2.0 CC, and needed 200mls clarifier, and 50mls algaecide, along with a pack of 'shock' that needs to be applied weekly apparently - oh, and a bag of salt (more on that later).

Dumped all of this in - and the darn pool starts getting white - not this again. More deal algae starts to pile up at the deep end, so phone pool shop - told to dump the rest of the algaecide in, and another (!) 15 litres of chlorine, and another litre of clarifier.

Now clean again, decided to go to another pool (wholesaler) where I was told that mustard algae is 'chlorine resistant' and only needed an algaecide to get rid of (hmmmm) and they tested the salt levels for the SWCG and told me it was 7100ppm (the cell is supposed to have 4000ppm) - one more bag of salt and the cell would have been cactus.

At least they didn't try to sell me anything else...

Sigh - so after some searching, I found TFP.com and read, (and read, and read) and - purchased a Taylor K-2006 off feebay Australia for $125 posted express. Waiting for some real numbers, I have been running the SWCG at a high level, no signs of algae back again, (pool STANK of chlorine for a while, not so bad now).

Will act and SLAM when I have some real numbers - Water is very pretty and blue now (probably all the bloody copper sulphate added) - but there could be something lurking...

Congrats on finding this forum and taking the time to read an digest the info in pool school. You are well on your way to taking control of your pool. No more pool store for you !!
When your test kit arrives post up a full set of results and we'll take it from there.
Congrats on the new pool !!

Vectrix150V said:
Today it's dropped to 24FC, 2CC - might bring it back to shock level again.
For the CYA level you stated of 35, your SLAM level is 16. Mustard algae SLAM level is 24.
Are you fighting mustard algae and how does your water look ? Is your SWG turned off ? If it's not do so. No sense in running it for the SLAM process.

Yesterday it was 1.5ppm CC, so its dropping.

I am still fighting Mustard Algae - I get those little piles of brown dust that gather on the steps.

Water looks superb - very, very slight cloudiness in the water at night with the light on. As in you could count the individual 'grains' as they pass by the light.

The bottom of the pool even at the deep end - every single bit of the texture is visible.

The only clue here that something is still 'in' there is the combined chlorine.

I've been keeping the free chlorine up at >24ppm for the past 3 days.

SWG is still running, since its keeping the chlorine up at the slam levels and I'm not buying liquid chlorine. Also considered that it may help to provide a superchlorination effect as well for the water passing though it.

I did have something weird though, there was a ton of blue 'sludge' on the chlorinated side of the SWG (same blue sludge I was filtering out - dead algae, full of copper and bound with the clarifier) - it was very sticky and almost oily - had to disassemble the SWG housing and clean manually with glass cleaner and a nylon dish brush. It hasn't come back, pity I didn't get a photo of it.

I think the algae has eaten most of the copper out of the pool (this is a blessing in disguise) as the stuff that's getting filtered now is more fine brown dust vs. sticky blue gunk. Water is nowhere near as 'copper sulphate' blue either.

This stuff is resilient!

Sounds like you are making good progress. Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions, the brown dust you see is not mustard algae but probably just dead algae the chlorine has killed and you can see it now. That will continue until your pool is completely rid of algae.

Alage does not eat copper, they are unrelated. The sludge you saw was very likely the clarifier. Don't use it again.