Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with cage installation issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with cage installation issue

Hi all;

My pool is in and the PB installed the ladder, ProSwim, added salt and the SWG today as the sub was busy on the cage.

We opted for stainless steel fasteners as a cage upgrade and upon returning home from work today I noted no SS bags sitting where the sub left items for tomorrow's continuation.

Am I wrong in reading the contract which states "Upgrade to stainless steel fasteners in scree cage" which I read as "ALL" fasteners or is it "ALL exposed fasteners" as the sub is proclaiming. I am ready to stop his work first thing in the morning, but I need input from those with experience in a hurry!!!!!!

Thanks,

Mike
    In construction 10/28/13 on 10.3k IG, pebbletec, Hayward SWG, 3/4 HP Hayward single spd Maxflo XL, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward ColorLogic x 2, HiTec solar heat (7 4x12 panels), Super Swim Pro, fully caged

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with cage installation issue

I'd agree with you that unless the wording states that some fasteners are to be made from another material, the only material fasteners should be made of is stainless steel. The common, more corrosion resistant grades are only strength comparable to grade 2 hardware, so you have to be careful not to use them in high stress locations, but I can't say one way or another that any of your bolted joints are high stress or not. Stainless is also subject to galvanic corrosion when in contact with aluminum, but that is generally not an issue for small fasteners.

Can you explain what type of fasteners they're using e.g.- sheet metal screws, concrete anchors, self drilling screws, threaded bolts and nuts - and where are the hidden places where they want to use steel screws.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Regardless of the details and who is right or wrong within the contract, having SS screws on ANY outdoor work is almost mandatory, in my opinion. Galvanized, and/or coated screws are a big improvement but stainless, in my experience, is quite superior.

One way or another, I would stop the work and insist on all stainless throughout....including those that may have already been installed.

You are not talking hundreds of dollars so you and the PB should be able to come to an agreement.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the inputs, just got off of the phone with the PB!

The sub will ensure all SS and is slready at work changing out hardware that was installed w/o SS!

You all are a great team to now be a part of!

Hope to one day be able to positively contribute with knowledge gained here!

Mike
    In construction 10/28/13 on 10.3k IG, pebbletec, Hayward SWG, 3/4 HP Hayward single spd Maxflo XL, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward ColorLogic x 2, HiTec solar heat (7 4x12 panels), Super Swim Pro, fully caged

5. Back To Top    #5

I would agree that if you paid for upgrading to stainless, they ALL should be stainless. In fact, if any weren't going to be stainless it should be the ones exposed so they could be changed when they corroded.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit