Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid Dosing Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Dosing Question

For those people who use pumps to dose acid, I have a question for you. Do you dilute the acid and if you do in what proportions (1 to 1, 1 to 2, 1 to 4). I was thinking that I should dilute the acid, but I thought I would see what others are doing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid Dosing Question

To me, the biggest reason to dilute the acid is to cut down on fuming. Since the vessels have to be vented, and they're usually in close proximity to other equipment, you stand the chance that the fumes will attack nearby equipment. The added benefit of diluting is that you get a little finer adjustment of the amount you add because most people dilute 4:1 so you're pumping 1/5th the amount of acid with each turn of the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. The fume issue was the reason that I was thinking of diluting. I was wondering about volume for the next few months after the pool is filled. If we have a daily need of roughly 50 ounces of acid during the initally curing does this create a volume issue at a 4 to 1 dilution rate for the pump? That would be 250 ounces a day or about 2 gallons a day. Using a 15 gallon drum would give me about a weeks worth of acid before it needed to be refilled. I will be using the intellichem.

4. Back To Top    #4

Initially I would probably dilute it 2:1 or just buy the 10 Baume acid to use. Once the initial spike is over, you can decide if you want to use the 20 Baume and dilute it more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You have confirmed my thoughts. I think I will do 2 to 1 initially. Thanks.