another DFW Ice-pocalypse Question

gm32

Feb 9, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Hey Guys,

So I am in Dallas and now that Snowmageddon is over my pool has been surrounded by a lovely impromptu skating rink. Is it ok to just break up the ice and kick it into the pool? I won't damage any equipment right?

Thanks!

The only thing that could get damaged is if the ice was able to get through the skimmer and pump baskets into the impeller .... but likely anything small enough to get through would melt before it got there.

I do not see the harm, but I also do not see the point if it will just melt where it is in a few days once the temps get higher.

Although you could be introducing dirt/etc into the pool water if there is anything in the ice.

I'm just trying to clear it out of the way so my dog can get to the grass patch behind the pool. I get worried about her slipping on the ice and falling so I want to clear a path sooner and just wait for the rest.

gm32:

I also faced this same situation this weekend.

pwrstrk said:
Can you just break it up and throw it to the side for a path ?
This is exactly what I did. As you are breaking the ice up, some of it may get into the pool. If it was a large chunk, I would fish it out. As for the smaller pieces, I just let them be. No harm was done to the equipment.

At least we got the sun to come out today. Now we have to work on getting the temps back up to seasonal norms.

Biggest risk I can think of is large chunks piling up in the skimmer and restricting flow to the pump to the point where it's sucking air. Between the skimmer basket and the pump basket, nothing big enough to do damage will ever make it to the impeller.

My pool turns into a solid block every year, but I don't think I would intentionally put snow or ice of any kind in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.