Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry climates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry climates?

Experts out there ... do you think it is a concern to have pool decks in hot/dry climates (where soil sometimes contracts during periods of drought) to butt right up to the house foundation? One of our PB's is saying that we should put flower beds in to mitigate this, but I would also be concerned about watering plants/flowers in an enclosed bed next to the foundation due to the potential for standing water. Other builders have not mentioned it.

Thanks in advance.
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry clima

Neither of these is an issue. I have planter beds all around my house. Its a good thing - the foundation will require watering either way. The planter bed will of course need some type of drainage so that it doesnt overflow during heavy rain.

As far a decking up against the foundation....again, not an issue. Always good to have an expansion joint here though.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry clima

I was also thinking it would be a non-issue either way.

I would think that having the pool deck go all the way up to the slab would help significantly reduce the evaporation that would cause soil contraction near the foundation.

I would also think that having a flower bed next to the foundation could be a bad thing, if it causes water to get locked into that area. But, if done right, it would be fine.

We put driveways and patios next to the foundation all the time. It seems weird that this PB is jumpy about having the pool deck next to it due to inability to irrigate the foundation.
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway