Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: electrics

1. Back To Top    #1

electrics

Hi
    Can anyone tell me why my supply to my pool motor is wired via a contactor. Yhe supply is fed from a fuse board in the house to a fuse board in the pool room via a rcd the to a contactor then to my pump motor.

Thank.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: electrics

Most likely for some kind of automation or possibly an anti-entrapment device.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the pump have a start/stop button or timer on it? If not, then I suspect JT is right.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump is hard wired to a 13 amp plug which is plugged into a timer which is plugged into a socket. The socket is wired from the contactor What is an anti-entrapment device?
    Living in Cyprus
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bof
    The pump is hard wired to a 13 amp plug which is plugged into a timer which is plugged into a socket. The socket is wired from the contactor What is an anti-entrapment device?
    An anti-entrapment device shuts the pump down if it detects a blockage of water flow on the inlet side of the pump. It prevents people from being held to a drain or other intake by suction.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW Thanks for that I did not know the suction was that powerful. I will check it out when I start using the pool next season. But other than that I can safely run the motor without the contactor.
    Living in Cyprus

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bof
    WOW Thanks for that I did not know the suction was that powerful. I will check it out when I start using the pool next season. But other than that I can safely run the motor without the contactor.
    Not sure what you mean by "check it out", but please recognize that the main drain can be very dangerous. The need for anti-entrapment, is because people have sat on drains and instantly had their internal organs sucked out of their bodies. Not a pleasant way to die.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you post a picture of the contactor?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Are you sure it is not a circuit breaker acting as a disconnect device? A contactor usually needs a power source to energize it from, say, a push button start stop, or some other input signal.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes it is a contactor and it is energised from the mains supply. Thinking about the cct and the standard of electricians the cct has probably been copied from an early site and wired up the same but did not know why. Monkey see monkey do. Their is no anti-entrapment device, and my idea of trying it out is to put my hand on the drain to see for myself the suction but not until next year when the water is a tad warmer. Sorry no photo i.e. no camera and a bog standard mobile phone. To put it into context the standard of buildings on this island is criminal, but it is deemed your fault for buying it.
    Living in Cyprus