Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with pump replacement for first time pool owner.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with pump replacement for first time pool owner.

Hello all. We now have our first pool and it's all extremely new to me. I'm not sure of all of the details on the pool yet, but do know that I need a new motor. The one on there now is extremely loud and can be heard through the entire neighborhood. I have read a bunch of the posts on here and am leaning towards a 2 speed or variable speed pump. Is there a difference in the two and is one better than the other? Price is also a major factor as we are now house rich and cash poor. I found the exact same pump that's on there now (single speed I believe) 5kc39un6086x Marathon electric for $189

Can anyone advise of a good replacement motor for the 5kc39un6086x? Thanks in advance. Sorry I don't have a gallon amount on the pool. But there is a pool and spa on the same system.

this is what I have now.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Help with pump replacement for first time pool owner.

Welcome to tfp, Mikestyger1

Most likely getting a 2-speed motor will be your best best.

Do you know if your current motor is wired for 115 or 230 volts? Most 2-speed motors are 230 volt.

It looks like this might be a 230 volt, 2-speed replacement:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help with pump replacement for first time pool owner.

how do you tell if it's a 230volt? I like the price of this. Is the 2-speed difficult to work or just install and it does what it needs to do? And I'm guessing it's more energy efficient than the single speed? Thanks again.