Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

Oct 7, 2013
DFW, TX
I have a 12 year old Hayward 2100 pool/spa control that won't give me proper temperature sensors.

It started with the water temperature reading really high. We're having an ice storm and it said the water was 98 degrees. The air temp was reading correctly and as the temperature dropped it went into ICE mode. I power cycled the control and now it just says pool temperature is OH and won't display air temperature even during the day when it got above 35 F. Since the power cycle I have to turn the pump overnight since it won't start ICE mode. The OH code is >112 degrees. There are also SN1 and SN2 codes for individual sensor failures. Those aren't being displayed.

With the power off I looked at the board and I don't see any blown fuses or burnt components, it doesn't look like there are any fuses for the temp sensors anyway. Unplugged/replugged them anyways to make sure there is good connection. The wires look fine and the air temp sensor looks undamaged.

The 2100 line appears to be discontinued and replacement parts are scarce. I'm hoping I can still fix it without having to change out the control system entirely. Has anyone had something break in this manner before? I think it's unlikely that both sensors broke the same weekend and more unlikely that they also both broke in such a way that I don't get the sensor error codes SN1/SN2. Is there something else I can check on the board?

Hayward tech support got back to me and said that on the 2100 series controller (PSC2104 = wired model PSC2106 = wireless model) the temperature sensors can be replaced with the current GLX-PC-12-KIT replacement sensor. This was quite the relief since I was going down the road of replacing the entire system and the prices were giving me heart palpitations and cold sweats.

This is such good news since the PSC2022 water sensor is discontinued and not available anywhere. I've ordered the PC-12-KIT off of Amazon for $30. Can anyone confirm that this kit is 1 sensor and it works for sensing either air or water temperature?

Just be careful to buy genuine Hayward sensors, the generic "compatible" ones are often not really compatible as they have a different response curve that really shows up the more you get away from the 77 degrees F 10K ohm reference point, this can be a big problem when used as freeze sensors.

Got the new sensor and the temperature readout is still all out of whack. It'll say air temp is 114 when it's in the 60's. I've tried different combinations of unplugging each sensor and plugging the new one into the water and air inputs. I think it's time to give up on this controller. It appears that no one on the forum has a Hayward 2100 controller and the whole line must have been discontinued right after mine was installed in 2001 (before I bought the house) so help is pretty scarce.

I just ordered a PL-P-4 and I'll be installing it and donating the 2100 to a museum.

Is there an expected lifespan for these types of systems? I don't have any complaints about mine lasting 13 years but I don't know if I should count myself lucky it lasted that long or shortchanged because it didn't last 20.

Just be careful to buy genuine Hayward sensors, the generic "compatible" ones are often not really compatible as they have a different response curve that really shows up the more you get away from the 77 degrees F 10K ohm reference point, this can be a big problem when used as freeze sensors.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need the equivalent of a PSC2022 temperature sensor for the Hayward 2100 series controller. I do not seem to be able to locate one. If anyone has a point out of one that is confirmed to work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Got the new sensor and the temperature readout is still all out of whack. It'll say air temp is 114 when it's in the 60's. I've tried different combinations of unplugging each sensor and plugging the new one into the water and air inputs. I think it's time to give up on this controller. It appears that no one on the forum has a Hayward 2100 controller and the whole line must have been discontinued right after mine was installed in 2001 (before I bought the house) so help is pretty scarce.

I just ordered a PL-P-4 and I'll be installing it and donating the 2100 to a museum.

Is there an expected lifespan for these types of systems? I don't have any complaints about mine lasting 13 years but I don't know if I should count myself lucky it lasted that long or shortchanged because it didn't last 20.

Do you still have the 2100 plc controller by any chance? Mine is not functioning properly and I like to have yourss

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need the equivalent of a PSC2022 temperature sensor for the Hayward 2100 series controller. I do not seem to be able to locate one. If anyone has a point out of one that is confirmed to work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Resurrecting the thread and answering my own problem, I can confirm that my tests trying to use the GLX-PC-12-KIT with a pigtail/plug from the original PSC2022 was a fail. The controller still reported an error.

Rummaging around in my garage spares supplies I did discover a new old stock PSC2022 still in the bag. Hooking it up it immediately worked.

If anyone finds a working replacement method for a PSC2022 please update this thread. I have bought myself another maybe 5 years (these sensors only last that long).

I am not sure what I will do when the next one goes out.

And following up with Hayward Tech support this week, they confirmed that my earlier email from them telling me the newer sensor was compatible was complete bs.

I will attempt to gather the temp/resistance table from my working sensors in the next days in case anyone can contribute ideas for fabbing up a compatible sensor from the data.

The air temp sensor does seem to last forever, the water temp sensor does not. They may be the same thermistor and curve, but I'll attempt to chart that up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Firstly, apologies - I am not an electrical engineer. But I did take some resistance measurements from the working PSC2022 Water Temp thermistor with my very cheap multimeter.

This is an Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) thermistor where the resistance goes up when the temperature goes down. The span of readings at normal pool temperatures is more than 200K Ohms. I suspect the air temp sensor is the same thing in a different package, but I have not bothered to chart it. I have been advised by Hayward (attempting to deflect any knowledge or support for the PSC series equipment they sold for 15 years) that the entire unit was made by Balboa.

If anyone can provide any insight or suggestions on replacing these thermistors with new off-the-shelf products, please chime in. Keeping the otherwise good unit running will likely save an owner somewhere north of $2K.

----------------------

Ohmsx1000 Temp F
126 111
129 105
158 100
156 98
170 95
178 90
182 89
190 92
210 77
270 70
315 60
324 51
350 42

Sorry to be the only one responding to my posts :) But there are a number of balboa water group temp sensors available (see amazon) and I have reached out to Balboa tech support. These look like the identical sensor construction, but often a shorter wire. I hope to report back that they still make a compatible sensor for the Hayward PSC2022. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to be the only one responding to my posts :) But there are a number of balboa water group temp sensors available (see amazon) and I have reached out to Balboa tech support. These look like the identical sensor construction, but often a shorter wire. I hope to report back that they still make a compatible sensor for the Hayward PSC2022. Fingers crossed.

Balboa tech support says all their current temp sensors are 10K. Drat.

If anyone has a simple solution to replacing the PSC2022, which is not a 10K sensor, please follow up and post to this thread. For now this appears to be the end of my ideas.

I'm sure this is an off-the-shelf ntc thermistor somewhere, Hayward certainly did not custom spec a part, they just won't tell or don't know.

Success!

I ended up buying both Balboa sensors on Amazon: The Balboa M7 ($28) and the Balboa 25-175-0377 ($19). Contrary to the nonsense Balboa tech support gave me about these being standard 10K sensors like the Hayward GLX-PC-12-KIT that does not work in the 2100 system, both of these work just fine for either air temp sensors or water temp sensors and track the temps correctly.

Since apparently Balboa made the original Hayward 2100 pool controller we lucked out with a fix, contrary to both company's tech support being dead wrong.

The Balboa M7 unit looks almost exactly like a direct replacement for the PSC2022 Hayward part except that the wire is 2 feet long instead of 20 feet long. You can probably re-use your old sensor wire with a bit of soldering skills. This would be my first choice in hacking together the PSC2022 water temp sensor replacement.

The Balboa 25-175-0337 is a combined water and air temp sensor with two wires zip-tied together at the board plug end and two probes that look suspiciously just like the Hayward parts. Both of these sensors work and track temps just like the Hayward parts. In this kit, the water temp sensor does not come with a replacement "cap" for the pipe end fitting like the Hayward unit does. You could probably redo the board plug end salvaging your old sensor parts and get both a water temp and air temp sensor out of one kit for an measly $20, which is nothing compared to the cost if you can find new old stock Hayward parts on fleaybay.

No SN1 or SN2 errors using these Balboa parts.

This should be great news for anyone with a working Hayward 2100 controller in need of new water temp sensors (unobtainium) or air temp sensors (hard to find and expensive when you do).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.