Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    18

    Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    I have a 12 year old Hayward 2100 pool/spa control that won't give me proper temperature sensors.

    It started with the water temperature reading really high. We're having an ice storm and it said the water was 98 degrees. The air temp was reading correctly and as the temperature dropped it went into ICE mode. I power cycled the control and now it just says pool temperature is OH and won't display air temperature even during the day when it got above 35 F. Since the power cycle I have to turn the pump overnight since it won't start ICE mode. The OH code is >112 degrees. There are also SN1 and SN2 codes for individual sensor failures. Those aren't being displayed.

    With the power off I looked at the board and I don't see any blown fuses or burnt components, it doesn't look like there are any fuses for the temp sensors anyway. Unplugged/replugged them anyways to make sure there is good connection. The wires look fine and the air temp sensor looks undamaged.

    The 2100 line appears to be discontinued and replacement parts are scarce. I'm hoping I can still fix it without having to change out the control system entirely. Has anyone had something break in this manner before? I think it's unlikely that both sensors broke the same weekend and more unlikely that they also both broke in such a way that I don't get the sensor error codes SN1/SN2. Is there something else I can check on the board?

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    18

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Hayward tech support got back to me and said that on the 2100 series controller (PSC2104 = wired model PSC2106 = wireless model) the temperature sensors can be replaced with the current GLX-PC-12-KIT replacement sensor. This was quite the relief since I was going down the road of replacing the entire system and the prices were giving me heart palpitations and cold sweats.

    This is such good news since the PSC2022 water sensor is discontinued and not available anywhere. I've ordered the PC-12-KIT off of Amazon for $30. Can anyone confirm that this kit is 1 sensor and it works for sensing either air or water temperature?

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    With my Hayward automation I got 3 identical sensors that can be used for air or water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Just be careful to buy genuine Hayward sensors, the generic "compatible" ones are often not really compatible as they have a different response curve that really shows up the more you get away from the 77 degrees F 10K ohm reference point, this can be a big problem when used as freeze sensors.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    18

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Got the new sensor and the temperature readout is still all out of whack. It'll say air temp is 114 when it's in the 60's. I've tried different combinations of unplugging each sensor and plugging the new one into the water and air inputs. I think it's time to give up on this controller. It appears that no one on the forum has a Hayward 2100 controller and the whole line must have been discontinued right after mine was installed in 2001 (before I bought the house) so help is pretty scarce.

    I just ordered a PL-P-4 and I'll be installing it and donating the 2100 to a museum.

    Is there an expected lifespan for these types of systems? I don't have any complaints about mine lasting 13 years but I don't know if I should count myself lucky it lasted that long or shortchanged because it didn't last 20.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    It does sound like the problem is in the controller, if it was a corrosion or bad connection somewhere the temperature would read lower than actual temperature.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Just be careful to buy genuine Hayward sensors, the generic "compatible" ones are often not really compatible as they have a different response curve that really shows up the more you get away from the 77 degrees F 10K ohm reference point, this can be a big problem when used as freeze sensors.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need the equivalent of a PSC2022 temperature sensor for the Hayward 2100 series controller. I do not seem to be able to locate one. If anyone has a point out of one that is confirmed to work, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    63

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Quote Originally Posted by gangstead View Post
    Got the new sensor and the temperature readout is still all out of whack. It'll say air temp is 114 when it's in the 60's. I've tried different combinations of unplugging each sensor and plugging the new one into the water and air inputs. I think it's time to give up on this controller. It appears that no one on the forum has a Hayward 2100 controller and the whole line must have been discontinued right after mine was installed in 2001 (before I bought the house) so help is pretty scarce.

    I just ordered a PL-P-4 and I'll be installing it and donating the 2100 to a museum.

    Is there an expected lifespan for these types of systems? I don't have any complaints about mine lasting 13 years but I don't know if I should count myself lucky it lasted that long or shortchanged because it didn't last 20.
    Do you still have the 2100 plc controller by any chance? Mine is not functioning properly and I like to have yourss
    My Pool Information :
    - Plaster Inground Pool - -Pool size about 13500 gallons
    4 Hayward Pumps : Filter, SPA, Waterfall, & Cleaner :
    Hayward 48 DE. Heater -Hayward 400 IDL. Chlorine Feeder -
    Polaris 280

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Quote Originally Posted by djw View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need the equivalent of a PSC2022 temperature sensor for the Hayward 2100 series controller. I do not seem to be able to locate one. If anyone has a point out of one that is confirmed to work, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks.
    Resurrecting the thread and answering my own problem, I can confirm that my tests trying to use the GLX-PC-12-KIT with a pigtail/plug from the original PSC2022 was a fail. The controller still reported an error.

    Rummaging around in my garage spares supplies I did discover a new old stock PSC2022 still in the bag. Hooking it up it immediately worked.

    If anyone finds a working replacement method for a PSC2022 please update this thread. I have bought myself another maybe 5 years (these sensors only last that long).

    I am not sure what I will do when the next one goes out.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    And following up with Hayward Tech support this week, they confirmed that my earlier email from them telling me the newer sensor was compatible was complete bs.

    I will attempt to gather the temp/resistance table from my working sensors in the next days in case anyone can contribute ideas for fabbing up a compatible sensor from the data.

    The air temp sensor does seem to last forever, the water temp sensor does not. They may be the same thermistor and curve, but I'll attempt to chart that up.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Firstly, apologies - I am not an electrical engineer. But I did take some resistance measurements from the working PSC2022 Water Temp thermistor with my very cheap multimeter.

    This is an Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) thermistor where the resistance goes up when the temperature goes down. The span of readings at normal pool temperatures is more than 200K Ohms. I suspect the air temp sensor is the same thing in a different package, but I have not bothered to chart it. I have been advised by Hayward (attempting to deflect any knowledge or support for the PSC series equipment they sold for 15 years) that the entire unit was made by Balboa.

    If anyone can provide any insight or suggestions on replacing these thermistors with new off-the-shelf products, please chime in. Keeping the otherwise good unit running will likely save an owner somewhere north of $2K.

    ----------------------

    Ohmsx1000 Temp F
    126 111
    129 105
    158 100
    156 98
    170 95
    178 90
    182 89
    190 92
    210 77
    270 70
    315 60
    324 51
    350 42

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    FYI, when I installed my ProLogic, all the air and water sensors were identical.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Sorry to be the only one responding to my posts But there are a number of balboa water group temp sensors available (see amazon) and I have reached out to Balboa tech support. These look like the identical sensor construction, but often a shorter wire. I hope to report back that they still make a compatible sensor for the Hayward PSC2022. Fingers crossed.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Re: Hayward 2100 temperature sensor problem

    Quote Originally Posted by djw View Post
    Sorry to be the only one responding to my posts But there are a number of balboa water group temp sensors available (see amazon) and I have reached out to Balboa tech support. These look like the identical sensor construction, but often a shorter wire. I hope to report back that they still make a compatible sensor for the Hayward PSC2022. Fingers crossed.
    Balboa tech support says all their current temp sensors are 10K. Drat.

    If anyone has a simple solution to replacing the PSC2022, which is not a 10K sensor, please follow up and post to this thread. For now this appears to be the end of my ideas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •