Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No water flow / suction

1. Back To Top    #1

No water flow / suction

First time here. Need to solve a problem w/o going into debt with the pool company. Replaced old energy hog 2 HP pump last year with a Reliant 1.5 HP pump. Pump was running fine, water flowing into and out of the pool and filter. I stopped the pump, opened up the filter, cleaned the filter, buttoned it up, filled the strainer basket with water to prime the pump. Closed the filter basket and switched the pump back on. Water is not getting sucked back into the pump. I switched the valves to differing positions skimmer, vac, main and stuck a hose in and water did flow thru the vac and skimmer, I assume the main, but hard to tell. I switched the valve to the skimmer, put the hose on right into the skimmer suction line, filled the strainer basket closed that, switched on the pump. The motor sounds fine, just does not seem to suck any water in. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: No water flow / suction

Welcome to the forum.

Pumps can often be hard to prime. Do you have a multiport valve? Can you position your valves so the pump pulls water from the main drain only?

How long did you let it run? How high above the pool water level is the pump? Do you have any check valves on the suction side of your plumbing?

You may have a suction side air leak but let's save that for later....your description doesn't sound like it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, multi-valve. I isolated each so the pump would draw from only either the main, skimmer or vac. Each time, no suction, but motor runs. I let it run long enough to be be running dry, 30 secs to a minute. Pump is about 2 feet above water level. No check valves.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you add a picture of your equipment pad?
    How do you have the multi-valve at the filter set?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rjb_fla
    yes, multi-valve. I isolated each so the pump would draw from only either the main, skimmer or vac. Each time, no suction, but motor runs. I let it run long enough to be be running dry, 30 secs to a minute. Pump is about 2 feet above water level. No check valves.
    Try this....

Set your multiport valve to "recirculate" (that bypasses the filter for now) and set the suction side valves to pull from the main drain only (if that's possible).

Now, fill the pump basket with water as full as it can get, put the lid back on and start the pump. Don't worry that the basket empties of water almost immediately.....that's OK. Hopefully, you will see water start to trickl in to the pump basket slowly at first then in ever increasing volume. It is OK to run the pump unprimed for a couple of minutes. It's probably OK to run it longer than that but I don't want to suggest that. Hopefully your pump will prime in those 2 minutes (time it, or it will make you nervous )

Post back.

If it primes, shut off the pump and then re position the multiport to "filter" and then turn the pump back on.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

pix of valves and pump

hose is laying over intake. left is skimmer, right is vac, main in back. Main is only open. jandy valve to right goes into pump.