I think my freeze protection isn't working

Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've got a Compool CP3600 control panel. Anytime it detects temps below 35, it would kick into freeze protection mode in years past.

Last few days in Dallas have been super cold. I've just had the pool in service mode and running, but decided to see if the freeze guard would work. Put the pool back into auto, and it's registering 34 degrees (when I turn the pool on) but the freeze guard never kicked on.

The panel isn't throwing any errors, is there a way to troubleshoot this?

This is one of the main reasons, that I do not believe anyone should rely on freeze protection. If it is that cold (average 24hr temps < 32F or min temps < 20F), then I would drain the pad equipment and let it sit idle.

I know you are in Dallas and I wasn't suggesting that you close the pool. I am also in an area that gets below freezing weather so I have had some experience operating a pool during very cold weather. I am just suggesting that to prevent freezing, you are much better off draining the pad equipment and it is very easy to do if the equipment is above water level. Just remove the pump lid and the pad equipment pipes should drain. Usually, the filter will drain as well. If the filter doesn't fully drain, open the pump drain plugs and that should force the filter to drain too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.