Self-cleaning pool problems

Dec 8, 2013
Split from self-cleaning-pool-problems-t55414.html Butterfly

Hi
I've also got the Paramount 6 port system that's performing below standard lately. It's about 8 years old.

I opened the module housing and don't see anything obviously amiss but, one comment caused here me to pause; how freely should the impeller turn? I can move it with my finger but not what I'd call freely.

Also, when I opened it there was some built up calcium, not a lot or enough to look like it would impede movement. But, is it possible there is build up I cant see and maybe that's binding the impeller a little? Can it be cleaned with an acid bath?

My next step is obviously to pull the nozzles and see if any need replacement...they are rather expensive so how will I know if one is bad?

Thank you in advance!

After some thought, I pulled the module again today. The impeller will spin under duress but doesn't spin the axle or the gears of the works; I guess its spinning on the axle. I can move the axle with a par of vice grips but not easily. Pulled the large ring gear off and the works rotates freely so it seems its the center axle that's binding. I have the module soaking in vinegar right now to see if that will dissolve whatever may be binding it.

Wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know we may not be able to give too mauch practical advice on in-floors.....they are pretty scarce and the people that have them usually get them worked on by a pro.

Nevertheless, you still may get some input as we have some goods pro's here as well as the DIY group.

After soaking for a bit in vinegar, i did get it spinning. Not easily but, easily enough so that moving the impeller moved the axle. I'll pull it out again tomorrow and disassemble it more to see what's binding the ceter axle. I'm kinda hoping it will move more freely after the exercise of the pump cycle.

Its very easy to take apart and clean the parts if necessary. After 8 years, its no uncommon for this to happen. Additionally, you should have a lifetime parts warrantly through paramount. You could call them and they can send you a whole new valve setup.

Thanks. Glad to know disassembly is easy...famous last words? haha.
I did chect the paramount website and it looks like parts are only warranted for 3 years. :-(
I will tear down the module this weekend.

whowens said:
Thanks. Glad to know disassembly is easy...famous last words? haha.
I did chect the paramount website and it looks like parts are only warranted for 3 years. :-(
I will tear down the module this weekend.
That sucks...a&a is lifetime replacement on all parts. There is a video on YouTube on taking apart and rebuilding the valve assembly. Do a search for it

I looked on YouTube but only found a video on how to take the module out of the housing, the closest to cleaning it was telling the viewer to swish it in pool water. Didn't see anything in tearing it apart. Maybe I'll make one! Haha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.