Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete disappearing

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete disappearing

Chlorine: 6
    PH: 7.8 (just added acid... Should be around 7.4)
    TA: 70
    CYA: 40-45
    CH: 800
    Salt: 2960

So the weirdest thing is happening, and I thought Id start here first! I live in Los Angeles county (Santa Clarita valley area) and we've had some rain lately. All around the concrete outside my pool (and even as far as 30 ft away from the pool) there is white residue everywhere. Then, on the coping area of the pool (pictures attached) that white stuff is literally eating away at the concrete!!

I only add acid slowly in front of one of the jets and it is added nowhere near where the areas of concrete are disappearing. At first I thought it was an acid accident, but the concrete is going away everywhere!

Is there something in my water?? What would cause this? I've never seen anything like it! Any help you could give on this mystery would
    Be greatly appreciated!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete disappearing

I'm having the same issue with my flagstone. I converted my pool to salt last winter and think it could be a contributing factor. My "kool deck" covered concrete is holding up perfectly though.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

nicpppardo,

can you rinse it off with fresh water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello!

That is what I just did actually! I was hoping to figure out what the heck happened so this doesn't happen again!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Almost surely it was simply salt left behind from your evaporating pool water.

I would suggest rinsing the surfaces as often as necessary to re-dissolve the deposits. Your concrete issues will go away.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Great- thank you very much! Small panic over here

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe I should try this also.