automatic water leveler connections

lennyf

Dec 8, 2013
New to this site, but I like it very much.
IG already built, with no provision for automatic water filler. I have access to the full length of one of the return lines. I cannot drill additional holes in the pool walls. my question: Is there any possibility to share this return line with auto-water-filler output? I mean working as a return at the same time! How to prevent the sucking of water from the external leveling container.

Thanks for any comment/suggestion.

Lennyf

Welcome to TFP!

You could potentially add water that way if you could figure out a way to make it safe to avoid contamination of your tap water. That's not trivial. The biggest problem is the need for a float to control the valve.

I think I might be tempted to just fill the pool manually. Autofills are certainly convenient but they can mask a leak in your pool. If it ever does, that usually causes far more inconvenience than the autofill saved you in work.

I tend to be a minimalist anyway, but I would prefer to fill my pool manually as I don't see it as that much effort.

duraleigh said:
I think I might be tempted to just fill the pool manually. Autofills are certainly convenient but they can mask a leak in your pool. If it ever does, that usually causes far more inconvenience than the autofill saved you in work.

I tend to be a minimalist anyway, but I would prefer to fill my pool manually as I don't see it as that much effort.

For what it's worth I totally agree. I had an autofill installed with my pool remodel and the worries of having it stick open when you're not around and the inability to foresee chemical additions due to invisible refilling convinced me to shut the valve to my autofill permanently. The effort to drop a hose in the water periodically is minimal considering I have a faucet and hose a couple of yards away from the pool edge. I do not live in a high evaporation climate so an autofill had limited benefit for me.

You could use a sprinkler anti-siphon valve along with a solenoid in the normally closed position. When off the sprinkler valve would drain the line when it shuts off to keep contamination from getting in the domestic water line and then solenoid would keep water from back flowing into the line. Using a float switch you could turn both valves on when to water gets low. But all that would be quite complex and leave open for areas of failure but most failures would just make nothing work at all.

Or you could do something quick and cheap like this.
http://www.scienceprog.com/the-cheapest ... er-filler/

skeeter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.