Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: automatic water leveler connections

1. Back To Top    #1

automatic water leveler connections

New to this site, but I like it very much.
    IG already built, with no provision for automatic water filler. I have access to the full length of one of the return lines. I cannot drill additional holes in the pool walls. my question: Is there any possibility to share this return line with auto-water-filler output? I mean working as a return at the same time! How to prevent the sucking of water from the external leveling container.

Thanks for any comment/suggestion.

Lennyf

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: automatic water leveler connections

Welcome to TFP!

You could potentially add water that way if you could figure out a way to make it safe to avoid contamination of your tap water. That's not trivial. The biggest problem is the need for a float to control the valve.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think I might be tempted to just fill the pool manually. Autofills are certainly convenient but they can mask a leak in your pool. If it ever does, that usually causes far more inconvenience than the autofill saved you in work.

I tend to be a minimalist anyway, but I would prefer to fill my pool manually as I don't see it as that much effort.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I think I might be tempted to just fill the pool manually. Autofills are certainly convenient but they can mask a leak in your pool. If it ever does, that usually causes far more inconvenience than the autofill saved you in work.

I tend to be a minimalist anyway, but I would prefer to fill my pool manually as I don't see it as that much effort.
    For what it's worth I totally agree. I had an autofill installed with my pool remodel and the worries of having it stick open when you're not around and the inability to foresee chemical additions due to invisible refilling convinced me to shut the valve to my autofill permanently. The effort to drop a hose in the water periodically is minimal considering I have a faucet and hose a couple of yards away from the pool edge. I do not live in a high evaporation climate so an autofill had limited benefit for me.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could use a sprinkler anti-siphon valve along with a solenoid in the normally closed position. When off the sprinkler valve would drain the line when it shuts off to keep contamination from getting in the domestic water line and then solenoid would keep water from back flowing into the line. Using a float switch you could turn both valves on when to water gets low. But all that would be quite complex and leave open for areas of failure but most failures would just make nothing work at all.

Or you could do something quick and cheap like this.
    http://www.scienceprog.com/the-cheapest ... er-filler/

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I too don't like auto fill options as they cover up potential leaks. If my pool is loosing enough water to need water added more than about once per week I want to know NOW.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~