My Pb 4 Polaris booster pump leaks.

Dec 7, 2013
I have a Polaris PB 4 booster pump, It has been leaking a little for some time so this winter I decided to put new seals in it, I installed the seal as I was shown on You tube video and put it all back together I started it up and no leaks so I shut it off. I didn't want to run it any longer because the back up unit on my sweep was broke in half and I had another one on order.
When the back up unit arrived I installed it on the sweep and fired up the pump.
Now the pump leaks like more than it did before. I thought that I was being real careful putting it back together but I must of done something wrong. I mean water is pouring out around the shaft right where the old leak was. Any ides as to what I might of done wrong.
:cry:

How old is your pump?? PB4 when they get old are know for the bracket to crack, turn the pump on and put you figures in the hole along the shaft to see where the water is exactly coming from. You could have damaged the seal during installation, did you check the impeller to make sure it wasn't melted?

I looked everything over real good and didn't see anything wrong with the impeller or the housing, As far as sticking my finger in there to see where it is coming from that will need to wait it is freezing out there right now but I will do that in a couple of days when the weather is a little better.

I picked up this thread as my PB4 is leaking. I checked various replacement parts and there are all kinds of kits available depending on what you want to replace as far as seals go. Is there a way to determine which seals you need based on where the leak is? I hate to buy random parts only to find out that I need something else. I think my pump, I 'm the second owner, is around 6-7 years old if this helps the diagnostic process.

Update: After some more research, I believe the part I need is the mechanical (also called shaft seal?) seal. Is this the usual seal and the one you discussed in the original thread?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.