Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump draing my water out on Filter setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump draing my water out on Filter setting

I have a two year old Hayward pump. I have noticed some water on the top. Now, when i turn it own, the pool water is draining out while my pump valve is on filter and or recirculate. I assume I have a gasket issue causing the water to drain out. Please help...advise what i can do . Model S22oT hayward pump with sand filter. 21 gal fiber glass salt water.
    21, 000 gal BLue fiber glass with Salt System 16x 33
    Aiken, SC 29803
    great water balance
    Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pump draing my water out on Filter setting

I think there's a little confusion on the terminology, so let's make sure we're understanding the problem. The Hayward S220T is your filter, and you're describing the multiport valve (handle) on top of the filter. Just to be clear, the leak is at the filter, and not at the pump, correct?

Second, assuming the above is correct, where exactly is the water coming from? There are several different issues that could be the problem, but they'll depend on where the water is leaving the system. Can you post a few pictures?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, your correct. leaking from the top but mainly going out to waste while filter is running...i capped off the waste out so i could run the pump. Its holding pressure fine. i think some of the water backing back into the system is on the top plate. not much water coming out. just standing on top plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aiken, SC 29803
    great water balance
    Hayward Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a bad spider gasket
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGjjBZFF_s

If you need to repair the multiport assy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVr5d_mpKAI

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If it's the 220t you will have to change the assy cause the yellow gasket will not come out.
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan1573
    If it's the 220t you will have to change the assy cause the yellow gasket will not come out.
    ^^This^^
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks ...I so do appreciate the support and LOVE this site. Thanks again and I will post the final results. Phil
    Aiken, SC 29803
    great water balance
    Hayward Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

replace Key/Seal Assembly (Spider Gasket molded into Diverter) Part Number: SPX0714CA. Also replace the valve spring Part Number: SPX0603S as it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes the valve won't seal properly if the current spring isn't strong enough to apply the downward pressure to create the seal. Another thing you might want to look for is ANY debris where the gasket would be coming into contact with the plastic. A needle from a pine tree is enough to cause the filter to leak and once the debris are removed there might not be anything wrong with the parts.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

The is how the gaskets looksSPO714C for the S244T2 sand filter. I saw a few pine needles. This gasket looks like it is part of the piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aiken, SC 29803
    great water balance
    Hayward Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

yeah that's the key/seal assembly. That part replaced spidergaskets in newer style filters. The molded white rubber and black plastic it is connected to is are one piece. I'm pretty sure they decided to go away from spidergaskets because they can fluff up and unseat which usually ends up ruining them. Since you found a few pine needles try putting it back together and see if it still leaks. If it still leaks replace that part and put in a new spring for good measure. If you look at the new key/seal side by side with a worn one you should see the difference in how the groves wear out and become more flat.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep- the Key assembly was the problem. Replacing the part tomorrow. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
    Aiken, SC 29803
    great water balance
    Hayward Pump