Rust Stains?

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hi All:

In the past few weeks, while doing deck, and then finally staining it, I am noticing what can only be described as rust stains on my steps and in parts of my skimmer. Its identical to a rust stain on a car, I tried to take a few pics, but with the sun and white background all you can see is a blur. Anyway, here are two pics. Could this possibly be some of the stain that has settled?

Anyone know what the heck this is, and how to treat it. Pool Store sold me some Stain Free which I tried tonite, but it didnt work

Short of rubbing till ones hand is dead, which will remove this stain, anyone have a shorter less tiresome route?

Thanks again all of you.

Rik

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 285
Try rubbing it with a puck... if it goes away, it is organic and will clear with bleach.
Also rub it with Vit. C... if it goes away you have a metal stain, and the Stain Nazi (mbar) (or someone else) can further advise you!

I can understand that you do not want to intoduce anything into the pool that is not necessary. I can't tell how deep in the water the stains are but a little dab of CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover) does wonders for stains. The problem will be the water diluting the concentration. You could try it on a sponge and work fast. Good Luck.

pooladdict said:
I should mention I am running a SWG and dont want to use pucks at all, I tried the Vit C trick, it didnt work.

Don't worry, one puck won't hurt anything.... BTW, Stain Free is ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
I have found that small "rust like" stains can at least be lightened by dumping acidic water directly on them. I have successfully done this on a friends fiberglass steps by mixing 2 cups muratic to about 3 gallons of water. We poured the mixture right on the spot (with pump off) then scrubbed vigorously& immediately with a brush until it disappeared (about a minute). Turned pump back on, stirred up water to disperse the acidic concentration, then balanced pH. The stain was on the second step and his pH was on the high side to begin with as he also is running a SWG.

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.