Cold water testing

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Yes, I searched and found old threads on testing when water is cold. But many were old so I thought I'd ask about my specific circumstances.

First, my CYA is around 110. Know it is too high but it was around 160. I will deal with is further come spring. For now I keep the FC at about 14-18. Not losing much at all due to the shorter days and cooler weather. 30 degrees or so in Tucson foothills last night. I know, balmy for many of you but cold for us.

Anyway as I tested the Chlorine today it turned clear at about 26 drop, 13 FC, then a few seconds later turned light pink again. Added 2 more drops, turned clear, then turned light pink again. Added 2 more, total 30 and it stabilized at 15FC.So is my FC 13,14, or 15?

PH showed high like 7.8-8 but was stable.

TA was 60, I thought, then same thing happened as with the Chlorine test. Went from red back to green after it sat for 30 seconds, added more a few times and it stabilized at 80-90. So is my TA 60 or 80?

And just to confirm my reading, I can bring TA up with Borax, right? Not trying to get to the desired levels of borates right now, just want to raise the TA a little to firm 90-110. I thin with my PH levels it would be too much muriatic acid at this point.

And if this is the correct path to take down the PH some first, add the Borax, then check PH and probably have to bring it down again? Or Borax to get desired TA and then acid?

I have read about Borax and understand most of it but am trying to make sure I got it right.

Thanks

The FAS/DPD chlorine test will most always return to pink. Accept your first reading as valid.

Increase TA with baking soda, not borax.....it will have negligible effect on pH

Back to Pool School for you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

duraleigh said:
The FAS/DPD chlorine test will most always return to pink. Accept your first reading as valid.

Increase TA with baking soda, not borax.....it will have negligible effect on pH

Back to Pool School for you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am sure I read Borax increased TA also and I thought I got the added side benefit of borates. I know baking soda works to increase TA but I already have high PH so it seemed counter productive to add Arm and Hammer.

I always was questioning in academic school too, it helps me understand to ask stupid questions. All I know is that in almost 6 years since I have owned the pool I have not had any algae. Though before I understood BBB and CYA I was probably going to get there sooner or later after using pucks until last June. I think I was stupid lucky as I seemed to err on the high side with Chlorine levels even tho pool store told me I was high they don't understand CYA.

Have I redeemed myself? Do I have to go back a whole grade or just a semester in pool school, LOL

Thanks for the quick answer. BTW, would it hurt, help or have no effect to start adding Borax a box at a time?

Have I redeemed myself? Do I have to go back a whole grade or just a semester in pool school, LOL
Since it's the holidays, we're gonna' let you slide with just some remedial work. :lol:

I post this from time to time and it's a good thing to memorize...

pH up - Add 20 mule team borax. It will also increase your TA
pH down - add muriatic acid

TA up - add baking soda. it will not really affect pH
TA down - perform the acid/aeration method as described in Pool School

Do not intertwine any of these guides with adding borates to your pool. It's a seperate subject.

Well, this is why I ask direct questions!
Now I understand, thanks.
It does say that baking soda can raise PH, the operative word is "a little"

Pool School
You can raise TA with baking soda. It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each one, as adding large quantities of baking soda can raise the PH a little and you don't want the PH going out of range.

Going to WalMart, muriatic acid and baking soda, donate the money I was going to spend on Borax to a food bank :idea:

duraleigh said:
Since it's the holidays, we're gonna' let you slide with just some remedial work. :lol:

I post this from time to time and it's a good thing to memorize...

pH up - Add 20 mule team borax. It will also increase your TA
pH down - add muriatic acid

TA up - add baking soda. it will not really affect pH
TA down - perform the acid/aeration method as described in Pool School

Do not intertwine any of these guides with adding borates to your pool. It's a seperate subject.
I battled low pH for a long time till I manufactured and installed an aerator. Now my pH stays where it should be. At no additionall cost. Anyone here need some borax or pH up??? I also have some 50% algecide I won't need anymore since going to the bbb system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.