1st time Pool owner in Phoenix, Arizona

Aug 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi guys
Winter is coming and I am seeing people closing the pool to prevent freeze damage. I have a chlorine pool, and I am wondering if I can add salt to lower the freezing temperature of the water and prevent freeze damage? What drawbacks are there if I have many salt in my pool?

Thank you,

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I know this question has been discussed on the forum before, try to search at the upper right.
Bottom line. No. You would have to add a ridiculous amount of salt to impact the freezing point at all.

But, you are in PHX, so your pool will not freeze anyway even if you shut the pump down all winter. On the rare occasions that the temp drops below freezing, just run your pump a little at night and your pipes should not freeze. And certainly there is no way it would be cold enough, long enough to freeze the entire surface of the pool enough to damage anything.

The only thing with a small chance of freezing would be pipe above ground. If water is moving in them, they will not freeze. Even without the water moving in them, it would have to be well below freezing for many many hours before they would freeze solid and possibly damage.

One thing I have done is throw a tarp over all the above ground pipes / pump / filter. That holds in some of the heat and lowers the cooling due to any wind.

But like I said, it needs to be very cold for more than a few hours to have any chance of damage.

Why are you getting advice for pump run time from your electric company? I am surprised they did not tell you to run on high speed 24/7.
6 hours is likely more than enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.