Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st time Pool owner in Phoenix, Arizona

1. Back To Top    #1

1st time Pool owner in Phoenix, Arizona

Hi guys
    Winter is coming and I am seeing people closing the pool to prevent freeze damage. I have a chlorine pool, and I am wondering if I can add salt to lower the freezing temperature of the water and prevent freeze damage? What drawbacks are there if I have many salt in my pool?

Thank you,
    New pool owner
    25k gal., plaster, Hayward DE6020 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st time Pool owner in Phoenix, Arizona

Welcome to TFP!!!

I know this question has been discussed on the forum before, try to search at the upper right.
    Bottom line. No. You would have to add a ridiculous amount of salt to impact the freezing point at all.

But, you are in PHX, so your pool will not freeze anyway even if you shut the pump down all winter. On the rare occasions that the temp drops below freezing, just run your pump a little at night and your pipes should not freeze. And certainly there is no way it would be cold enough, long enough to freeze the entire surface of the pool enough to damage anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Should I be worried more about the pump pipes that are above ground? My electric company suggests 6hrs of pool pump at night time.
    New pool owner
    25k gal., plaster, Hayward DE6020 filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing with a small chance of freezing would be pipe above ground. If water is moving in them, they will not freeze. Even without the water moving in them, it would have to be well below freezing for many many hours before they would freeze solid and possibly damage.

One thing I have done is throw a tarp over all the above ground pipes / pump / filter. That holds in some of the heat and lowers the cooling due to any wind.

But like I said, it needs to be very cold for more than a few hours to have any chance of damage.

Why are you getting advice for pump run time from your electric company? I am surprised they did not tell you to run on high speed 24/7.
    6 hours is likely more than enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, sungchiahao

jbliz gave you good advice, I though I would just add that the power company has no idea how much circulation your pool needs, you are the only one the can determine that. See this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../pump_run_time
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.