Deepest Swimming Pool here?

Nov 29, 2013
Richmond VA
I have a question about what does the deepest swimming pool look like on here. In that the pools I go to are seven to nine feet deep while there are a few 12 foot deep pools and some of the newest deep pools with diving boards here that are 14 feet deep. There was even a eight foot deep pool that I remember going to but I kind of wounder would a 16 foot deep pool or a 24 foot deep pool exist or not?

There is also something that I noticed too about the deep pools and that that several of the pools I have seen that are nine feet deep have had their diving boards taken out of them while the more modern pools that have diving boards are 14 feet deep. So this kind of makes me wounder could modern pool depth standards for pools with diving boards require that they be 14 feet deep if they are going to have a diving board in them.

As for me and wanting to own a deep pool I kind of suspect that a there really isn't much difference in owning a 8 foot deep end vs. a 14 foot deep end considering your feet can't reach the bottom of it. If I did get a pool with a large deep end I would keep it the way it is even though I wouldn't use it that much.

I can not imagine requiring a 10'+ deep pool unless you have a higher than normal diving board (although I am not sure what the current rules are). Also as you get deeper that is just going to require more chemicals with very little gain in pool enjoyment. And brushing and cleaning is going to be more difficult as well.

As far as I know the minimum dimensions for a dive pool are 34' long and 8.5 deep. This is coming from a couple of builders here so take it with a grain of salt. My builder wants 36' and 9 feet respectively for a dive pool, and that is what we are about to start digging. Are you talking about commercial pools that are 14' deep? I think I can say there is no one I've heard of digging one near that deep. Maybe 10' but even that is unusual. I know of a couple that are 12, and one of those is very old. Length versus depth is the important factor. To sharp a slope into the deep end presents a hazard for someone diving off the board, and into the slope. You need enough length to get around that and it will eat up a lot of shallow end in a 30 some odd ft pool.

Although it is very much out of fashion, we want the deep end after having only a shallow AGP for years. We want a diving board too which is also out of fashion in our now litigious society. Hence all the removed diving boards. I understand the good arguments for lots of shallow, but it is purely personal, and how you intend to use it. To me, you have more pool with a deep end. We won't be playing volley ball and most of the time we have kids in it, they will be older ones. Mostly, we just want a deep end pool and if we weren't going with a board, I think I'd still have to have 7' minimum just for my satisfaction. I don't know why, but I just want it no matter what. I will be floating or swimming in mine most of the time and I'm paying for it so I'm getting what I like. Aesthetically, I love the water color change from shallow to deep as well.

The 14 foot deep swimming pool is at the new indoor pool they opened up at one of the YMCA's in our area it is a very large commercial built pool. The YMCA also has a 12 foot deep diving well also at it. There was a hotel called the Lancaster Host they had a giant 100,000 gallon outdoor pool that used to have a 12 foot deep diving end but they filled it in making the 12 foot deep end 5 feet 6 inches deep. There is also a indoor pool at the hotel that is form the 1960's it has a nine foot deep end but it has two seven foot deep parts on both sides of the nine feet deep. The story behind it was that they took the diving board out in the 1990's do to insurance liability it was also the reason why they filled in the 12 foot deep end and replaced it with a five and a half foot deep end.

If I had a pool with a 12 foot deep end it would need to have to be 40 or 50 feet long to sustain something like that. I find it strange that anything over nine feet for diving is rare in that a lot of the pools in my area are based off 12 feet deep. I guess 12 feet deep must be some old standard from the 1960's and 1950's.

This post shows a pool that is 13.2 feet deep and is used for dive training.

With a much deeper pool, that is usually a much larger volume of water (unless the pool surface area is small more like a well) and that means bigger pumps, more chemicals, etc. It's more costly to maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.