Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deepest Swimming Pool here?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deepest Swimming Pool here?

I have a question about what does the deepest swimming pool look like on here. In that the pools I go to are seven to nine feet deep while there are a few 12 foot deep pools and some of the newest deep pools with diving boards here that are 14 feet deep. There was even a eight foot deep pool that I remember going to but I kind of wounder would a 16 foot deep pool or a 24 foot deep pool exist or not?

There is also something that I noticed too about the deep pools and that that several of the pools I have seen that are nine feet deep have had their diving boards taken out of them while the more modern pools that have diving boards are 14 feet deep. So this kind of makes me wounder could modern pool depth standards for pools with diving boards require that they be 14 feet deep if they are going to have a diving board in them.

As for me and wanting to own a deep pool I kind of suspect that a there really isn't much difference in owning a 8 foot deep end vs. a 14 foot deep end considering your feet can't reach the bottom of it. If I did get a pool with a large deep end I would keep it the way it is even though I wouldn't use it that much.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deepest Swimming Pool here?

I can not imagine requiring a 10'+ deep pool unless you have a higher than normal diving board (although I am not sure what the current rules are). Also as you get deeper that is just going to require more chemicals with very little gain in pool enjoyment. And brushing and cleaning is going to be more difficult as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As far as I know the minimum dimensions for a dive pool are 34' long and 8.5 deep. This is coming from a couple of builders here so take it with a grain of salt. My builder wants 36' and 9 feet respectively for a dive pool, and that is what we are about to start digging. Are you talking about commercial pools that are 14' deep? I think I can say there is no one I've heard of digging one near that deep. Maybe 10' but even that is unusual. I know of a couple that are 12, and one of those is very old. Length versus depth is the important factor. To sharp a slope into the deep end presents a hazard for someone diving off the board, and into the slope. You need enough length to get around that and it will eat up a lot of shallow end in a 30 some odd ft pool.

Although it is very much out of fashion, we want the deep end after having only a shallow AGP for years. We want a diving board too which is also out of fashion in our now litigious society. Hence all the removed diving boards. I understand the good arguments for lots of shallow, but it is purely personal, and how you intend to use it. To me, you have more pool with a deep end. We won't be playing volley ball and most of the time we have kids in it, they will be older ones. Mostly, we just want a deep end pool and if we weren't going with a board, I think I'd still have to have 7' minimum just for my satisfaction. I don't know why, but I just want it no matter what. I will be floating or swimming in mine most of the time and I'm paying for it so I'm getting what I like. Aesthetically, I love the water color change from shallow to deep as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

The 14 foot deep swimming pool is at the new indoor pool they opened up at one of the YMCA's in our area it is a very large commercial built pool. The YMCA also has a 12 foot deep diving well also at it. There was a hotel called the Lancaster Host they had a giant 100,000 gallon outdoor pool that used to have a 12 foot deep diving end but they filled it in making the 12 foot deep end 5 feet 6 inches deep. There is also a indoor pool at the hotel that is form the 1960's it has a nine foot deep end but it has two seven foot deep parts on both sides of the nine feet deep. The story behind it was that they took the diving board out in the 1990's do to insurance liability it was also the reason why they filled in the 12 foot deep end and replaced it with a five and a half foot deep end.

If I had a pool with a 12 foot deep end it would need to have to be 40 or 50 feet long to sustain something like that. I find it strange that anything over nine feet for diving is rare in that a lot of the pools in my area are based off 12 feet deep. I guess 12 feet deep must be some old standard from the 1960's and 1950's.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

in that a lot of the pools in my area are based off 12 feet deep.
    Residential pools?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

This post shows a pool that is 13.2 feet deep and is used for dive training.

With a much deeper pool, that is usually a much larger volume of water (unless the pool surface area is small more like a well) and that means bigger pumps, more chemicals, etc. It's more costly to maintain.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a nice 13 foot deep pool along with the other pool with the glass walls on it I would really like to build something like that.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I deal with the university of kentucky indoor pool with a 18' deep end. Pool is right at 1,250,000 gallons
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan1573
    I deal with the university of kentucky indoor pool with a 18' deep end. Pool is right at 1,250,000 gallons
    Interesting, what do they chlorinate with? I would presume gas?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Actually liquid chlorine also a uv system on it. We will be switching to a swg system hopefully this year
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

11. Back To Top    #11

I find that amazing that a swimming pool would be 18 feet deep I guess the deep end must be for high dives or something like that. Also 18 feet deep is deeper then a lot of lakes and ponds in my area too.

Could you post some photos of it?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan1573
    Actually liquid chlorine also a uv system on it. We will be switching to a swg system hopefully this year
    That is a lot of LC. Decent bulk account for someone...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: