Freeze Guard

My pool does not currently have a freeze guard, so I'm wondering how expensive it is to add one and if that is something that I can do myself or if we need to hire someone to do it. I'm in Texas, so it seldom gets cold enough to worry about, but when it does, I would appreciate the convenience of knowing that it will prevent freezing if I happen to forget to turn the pump on. Thanks!

You would just need to buy a new timer that has that option. All it does is switch the pump on if the air temp drops below some temperature.

I would just make it a point to remember to flip the pump on for the cold nights ... in reality it needs to get well below freezing for more than a few hours before you might start to have problems even without the pump running.

JB is right, unless, 1) you have a timer or controller that it can be added to, or 2) you have a timer or controller that has it and it just hasn't been turned on.

The first thing to do is let us know how you're currently controlling the pump, etc.?

If you have a 240V mechanical timer already you can wire in a Intermatic PF1102 freeze guard to work with it, wiring is about as difficult as wiring a 2 way light switch, if you need an electrician somewhat depends on your skills, local regulations, etc. These units typically sell for around $150 or so online, and about double that from pool supply places. I would put typical installation time if done right by an electrical professional at 30-45 minutes max, pdf instruction manual is available online if you want to look for yourself. If you have a pool automation system already and not just a basic mechanical timer, then many of them already support freeze protection, but you may need to add another temperature sensor for $30 - $40.

Ike

p.s. from a price / ease standpoint it might be easier to change out to a unit with an integrated timer, as they don't cost much more. Such as the PF1102T or PF1103T depending on size and voltage of your pump

What is your worst night like?

Lowest temperature and time below freezing?

Smallest pipe or hose diameter?

When it gets really cold a good option is to just drain the pad equipment. You can't always rely upon freeze protection.

The DFW area can get some cold nights with strong wind, I was in the area for New Years 10-15 years ago and it was 13 degrees outside with 30+ mph winds blowing from the north. I am sure the record is worse

Ike

ps google tells me the record low for Dallas was -8 degrees, and temperatures have only dropped below 0 degrees F 4 times since they started keeping records, most recently -2 in 1989

The challenge in DFW is the variation. Even in the winter, the average weekly low is above freezing. However, it is normal for the temperature to drop to the low 20s on some individual winter nights. Winds are usually around 10mph, and it typically goes back to above freezing during the day. But it is common to have 1-2 cold snaps during the winter that keep the temperature below freezing for over 24 hours.

Most here don't close their pools since the freezing spells are infrequent, and usually short. For the longer cold snaps, running the pump is enough to prevent the water from freezing. Electricity rates are pretty low. The risk is an extended power outage at which point we'd be stuck having to drain the equipment during the cold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.