Pump Motor Bearing Change

Oct 20, 2013
My AO Smith 1.5hp pump motor was making a squealing noise so I changed out the pump motor bearing. Motor is quiet during a bench test (and also quiet when mounted without any water being pumped).

However, when the pump is primed it is making a constant loud noise (not squealing or metallic sounding). Motor primes fine and pumps fine. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome Mark! I'll take a look at both this weekend. I looked closely at the diffuser and could see anything that would indicate that there was a top or bottom. As far as the impeller ring, I never even noticed it having one. Does the ring separate from the impeller freely when dismantling the pump? Thanks for the help!

mas985 said:
Welcome to the forum!

It could be the impeller ring or diffuser was not installed properly.

It depends on the pump line. I wasn't sure what pump you have but you can look at the parts list to see if it is separate or not. Some rings are built into the diffuser.

What kind of shape are your end bells? Especially the pump/shaft end. I had the bearings go out on my pump and it turned out that the shaft end end-bell was in bad enough condition that when pressure was applied to the housing, the armature would rub. You might be having the same issue.

Thanks I'll check for a bent shaft too. Was yours noticeably bent to where you could see it out of alignment?

Thanks

dschlic1 said:
What kind of shape are your end bells? Especially the pump/shaft end. I had the bearings go out on my pump and it turned out that the shaft end end-bell was in bad enough condition that when pressure was applied to the housing, the armature would rub. You might be having the same issue.

Just wanted to give an update. Had an ice storm so couldn't attempt a repair for a while. Changed out the seal. Impeller seal was off-center and in pretty bad shape. Everything else looked fine. Armature is perfectly straight. End bells are fine. Re-installed the motor and still hearing the noise (although maybe a little quieter). I'm going to switch out the impeller/diffuser with my brothers. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Update again. The problem was the new bearing was defective. Replaced and all was well. Thanks for the help. :party:

MontyP11 said:
Just wanted to give an update. Had an ice storm so couldn't attempt a repair for a while. Changed out the seal. Impeller seal was off-center and in pretty bad shape. Everything else looked fine. Armature is perfectly straight. End bells are fine. Re-installed the motor and still hearing the noise (although maybe a little quieter). I'm going to switch out the impeller/diffuser with my brothers. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.