Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here comes the ice - now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Here comes the ice - now what?

The forecast in the DFW area keeps getting worse. I am still a pool newbie. We don't winterize here, just let the pool run when it gets cold. They are now calling for lows in the teens, highs in the 20s and ice. Apparently a lot of ice. We are preparing to be without power as that looks like it will be a common problem. So if the power goes out, what am I doing about the pool equipment? I can prep stuff today, so any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. My equipment is behind a 6 foot tall fence on 3 sides and backs the house on the other. I could put a propane heater in the fenced area (plenty of room not to melt anything) and run it to keep that general area a bit warmer. Or could I just open the filter and inline skimmer cover up so that there is escape for expanding water and pray that is enough give in the system? Or should I even be worried?
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here comes the ice - now what?

My plan would be to drain any above ground equipment if the power went out and stuff some cut up pool noodle material into the skimmer. You aren't likely to get any freezing deep enough into the water to harm your returns or skimmer plumbing.

You'll have two drains on your pump, and one on your filter. Best to find them now instead of 11pm with the lights out and ice everywhere.

It's important to shut the power to your pump off if you do that so it doesn't pump water everywhere if the power comes on.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what JohnT said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I am also in the DFW area. So i should drain my filter and pump skimmer, correct? I have a Freeze Protector installed to my pool. Do i still need to drain or will the protector really protect?
    35,000 gallon inground pool
    D.E. Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I do what John suggested every fall before I cover the pool (to prevent the leaves from getting in). Drain ALL above ground pool equipment (pump, filter, any thing else attached). If you can get one from your pool store - I'd suggest getting a Gizmo(TM) (green plastic thing) that screws into the skimmer thread.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Do i still need to drain or will the protector really protect?
    Luria8, as long as you have power, the freeze protect will work. Do the drain if your power goes out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Do i still need to drain or will the protector really protect?
    Luria8, as long as you have power, the freeze protect will work. Do the drain if your power goes out.
    Ahhhh thanks! You're such a good help!!!
    D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you predict or always know for sure when the power goes out (e.g. middle of night)?

In really cold weather, I would always drain rather than rely on freeze protection.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

How long is it predicted to stay below freezing?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    How long is it predicted to stay below freezing?
    Through Saturday, warming up Sunday.

I like John T's plan too, and he ought to know since he gets real winters up there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

One word--------GENERATOR! Already gassed up and test run, Extra gas, plugs, and oil to change. Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!~
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Can you predict or always know for sure when the power goes out (e.g. middle of night)?

In really cold weather, I would always drain rather than rely on freeze protection.
    Oh great now Im worried... Hopefully we dont have any outages. But i will consider draining.
    D.E. Filter