Here comes the ice - now what?

The forecast in the DFW area keeps getting worse. I am still a pool newbie. We don't winterize here, just let the pool run when it gets cold. They are now calling for lows in the teens, highs in the 20s and ice. Apparently a lot of ice. We are preparing to be without power as that looks like it will be a common problem. So if the power goes out, what am I doing about the pool equipment? I can prep stuff today, so any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. My equipment is behind a 6 foot tall fence on 3 sides and backs the house on the other. I could put a propane heater in the fenced area (plenty of room not to melt anything) and run it to keep that general area a bit warmer. Or could I just open the filter and inline skimmer cover up so that there is escape for expanding water and pray that is enough give in the system? Or should I even be worried?

My plan would be to drain any above ground equipment if the power went out and stuff some cut up pool noodle material into the skimmer. You aren't likely to get any freezing deep enough into the water to harm your returns or skimmer plumbing.

You'll have two drains on your pump, and one on your filter. Best to find them now instead of 11pm with the lights out and ice everywhere.

It's important to shut the power to your pump off if you do that so it doesn't pump water everywhere if the power comes on.

I do what John suggested every fall before I cover the pool (to prevent the leaves from getting in). Drain ALL above ground pool equipment (pump, filter, any thing else attached). If you can get one from your pool store - I'd suggest getting a Gizmo(TM) (green plastic thing) that screws into the skimmer thread.

Can you predict or always know for sure when the power goes out (e.g. middle of night)?

In really cold weather, I would always drain rather than rely on freeze protection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.