Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure gauge and DE issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure gauge and DE issue

This may sound weird or not, either way I hope someone can help me. I am getting DE back into our pool. We replaced the grids, made sure all are installed correctly, checked the manifold and the air release hose attached in the manifold. Our pressure reads at 15. We've had to remove the DE manually by vacuuming the pool. Until just a few minutes ago my hubby notice that if he DOES NOT closes or tightens the pressure gauge (push up/down kind) completely the flow of DE that you see returning to the pool stops. When i say tightens the gauge, I mean it is close with no water or air bleeding out. Is this part of my issue with the DE getting back into the pool? Or what can be the issue?
    35,000 gallon inground pool
    D.E. Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure gauge and DE issue

I can't really picture the problem in my head. I would not think the gauge would cause that problem. It should be on the pressure or dirty side of the filter. I would still look for a problem in the grid of manifold.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

I know its a bit confusing... I will continue too look. What do you mean the dirty side of the filter?
    D.E. Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

"Dirty" water enters the filter and hits the DE. As the water is filtered through the DE it goes into the grids and out the manifold as clean water and back to the pool. As the DE on the outside of the grids get clogged the pressure rises. So the gauge should be on the dirty side of the grids. You are some how getting DE inside the grids or the manifold before it leaves the filter and back to the pool. What model filter is this.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

my hubby notice that if he DOES NOT closes or tightens the pressure gauge (push up/down kind)
    For clarification, it seems to me that OP is calling the push-pull valve a "pressure gauge".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The pressure gauge manifold on those filters is also an air bleed. If that's correct then you're saying that if it's left open a little the DE doesn't return to the pool?
    Is the DE going out the return or is it backing out the skimmer, etc. when you shut the pump off?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I will post pictures of the filter model for clarification. And the DE is going out the return jets.
    D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Hmmm.... I'm just wondering if someone recharged the DE with the slide valve in backwash mode?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are some pictures of my system... Please help me and let me know it there is something weird about it.

Richard320 i dont think we put DE in backwash mode... We always put it in in filter mode. Thats is the correct way right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D.E. Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

More pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D.E. Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

If it was backing out the skimmer when the pump was shut off, I'd say you have an air leak and by leaving the air purge open it kept it from building up. However, you say that it comes out the returns when the pump is running. That has to be something wrong in the filter or multiport valve. Leaving the air bleed open should have no effect on that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The pics help. You have a multi-port valve and not a slide (push/pull) valve so you were calling the pressure gauge correctly.

Do you know for a dead fact the material returning into the pool is DE?
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes it is DE once I stir it, it looks dusty and starts clouding up the water then settles to the bottom of the pool. There might be some dead algae along with that, but it usually floats up and we try to catch it before going into the skimmer. Im considering having a pro to take a look at it since i cant find the issue. The hubby and I tried everything. In case there was an air leak that we missed. Could that be the case of DE returning back into the pool?
    D.E. Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

No, an air leak will be unrelated to DE getting back into the pool....although it does sound like you have one and need to track it down.

Since the DE sits on the grids and is getting back to the pool, the trouble certainly would seem to be in your filter. Grids can often be misaligned, damaged or something else in the filter not sealing correctly to let the DE get through.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Tie a sock over a return and run the pump. If it's DE returning to the pool it will be caught in the sock. That way you'll know for sure what it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok i will try the sock to get a better eye on the dust (DE that Ive been talking about). I will try to reinspect the filters and assembly to make sure all is good. We are expecting a winterstorm by tomorrow here in the Dallas, Texas area. So i hope we get to it by today!!
    D.E. Filter