Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove hose from Polaris

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte, NC

Remove hose from Polaris

I have a Polaris cleaner that I would like to remove the hose from as close as possible to the cleaner so that I can store things a little nicer for the winter. Every time I go to attempt to remove a hose it seems really snug and going to break something. Is there a ideal place to remove the hose?
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Remove hose from Polaris

It's possible that the hose has become fused to the coupler. That happened to me once and I chose to leave the hose connected until it developed a leak and needed to be replaced. At that point, it didn't matter if the hose or coupler was damaged in removing it since I planned on replacing both. Thus, you are faced with the same choice of going ahead and trying to remove the hose and risk breaking it or leaving it in place until it needs to be replaced.

To minimize the risk of this happening again, apply some gasket lube to the rubber gasket in the hose coupler. I've not experienced this problem since I began doing this.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Antonio, Texas

Re: Remove hose from Polaris

Howdy, Be sure you are unscrewing the hose nut off the correct way. I see many people actually turning the hose nuts the wrong way thus tightening them on to the hose. The nut actually goes on the barb that is on the cleaner first, then the hose is pushed over the barb, then the nut is screwed up on to the hose. If you are standing over the cleaner you will unscrew it clock-wise. Its a bit counterintuitive at first. Hope that does the trick! =)
    Fielding -