HELP!! Torn Liner. (HUGE)

Mend

Jul 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Ok. I've looked through lots of forums. I know many reasons not to drain an in ground vinyl pool. My question is what to do if the pool is draining itself. I have lost about 18 inches of water overnight. I have a six foot long rip on the bottom side of the deep end right where the liner starts up the wall. I consider myself to be resourceful but see no way to patch something this big. Can the pool be left empty until spring when I can have a new liner installed? Do I need to take steps to prepare the pool for long period of being empty? I don't have a high water table. I also don't know how old the pool is or the construction as it was here when the home was purchased. I can't find anyone that will replace the liner until warmer weather. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Since the tear is that large, keeping water in it isn't an option, so just letting it drain until it stops and leaving it till next year is about your only recourse. You may have to do a little bottom work next year, but that may be the case if you did it right now. All in all, I'd say let it drain down, winterize the plumbing and deal with it next year.

+1 what bama rambler said. It may or may not be helpful to put a tarp on the pool floor to prevent damage and maybe keep it a little cleaner until you can patch it in the Spring.

The problem you may face is that you may need some major reshaping of your hole in order to fit the new liner. I'd call the pool builder or whoever you expect to do the new liner and see whether they think it would cost more to fix it in the spring or to have a diver patch it to get through the winter.

You don't say where you live, but if you are in an area where it freezes you'll need to get the water out of your drain plumbing if the pool is empty.

Thank you for the help. I live near Charlotte NC. We get some freezing but usually only overnight. I will clear the plumbing today. I have a safety cover to put on and all the leaves have fallen so I don't anticipate too much cleaning. I will call a pool company today to get their recommendation. Thankfully I decided to keep the pool open for the winter or I would not have seen the leak. I have even tried to pull up building permits to see who the original installer was but I guess they didn't digitize the records until recent years. Hopefully won't have too much damage. Maybe an opportunity to renovate to something other than vinyl.

Your safety cover could be a problem if you get a snow. They are generally designed to have water under them to help support the load.

I doubt it will matter what you do with the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.