Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get the lid off my viron cartridge filter :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the lid off my viron cartridge filter :(

Hi. Am new to the pool care game, but have been reading up in here for advice.

I am trying to clean my Viron CL series cartridge filter, have bled the lid valve and loosened the lock ring, but cannot get the lid off. Not sure what to do. In the meantime I have to leave everything off.

The pressure has dropped and the water flow is insufficient. I am suspecting that despite having a pre filtration filter that recent earthworks have clogged it up. Not a lot of dust was in the pre filter though.

Can anyone offer advice? I was going to add a picture of the set up but not sure how.

Thanks, The Goodies
    Zel Just keep swimming…..I'm new to this.
    12,680 Gal, IG fiberglass, Viron cartridge filter & Viron P600 EVO pump (variable flow), multi-cyclone pre filter, SWG, solar, installed Aug 13 Vic Aus, Robot Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the lid off my viron cartridge filter :(

If the ring is loose,or even off, turn the pump on for a few seconds which the pressure should raise the top part up and then you should be able to remove it. Lots of water will spill out though.

I do that on my filter when I need to take the cartridges out. I'm a noob so take it for what it's worth.

Or you can call them and ask +64 (0)9 273 4103
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Will give it a try.
    12,680 Gal, IG fiberglass, Viron cartridge filter & Viron P600 EVO pump (variable flow), multi-cyclone pre filter, SWG, solar, installed Aug 13 Vic Aus, Robot Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use a photo hosting site such as photobucket to host the pictures and post the link here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That your pressure has DROPPED and you have insufficient flow indicates a problem before the filte4r....not the filter itself.

If your filter was clogged, you would have an INCREASE in pressure and perhaps resultant low flow.

Look for the problem to be on the suctions side of your system.

You still need to get the filter apart but that doesn't have anything to do with low pressure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all. Rookie mistake, turns out that I didn't undo the ring far enough! Flow problem was due to insufficient water level. Learning fast!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Problem solved, that's what counts. Good work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School