Help! what to do until test kit arrives

mnizi

Dec 1, 2013
New Zealand
Hi, First time poster from New Zealand here. After recent outbreaks of algae in the pool, I discovered this site and quickly realised my pool care maintenance was all wrong. For the past 2 years up until a week ago, I was using a trichlor feeder loaded with tabs and also shock dosing with dichlor. I realise know that all along I had been increasing the CYA levels to a point where the chlorine being added was not effective, hence the algae outbreaks. The problem now is I couldn't find anywhere in NZ that sold a FAS-DPD test kit so have ordered one from the US, this might take some time to get here and until then I need to get this algae under control. My current test kit only measures FC up to 10ppm and is now useless.

This is what I have done so far to try and combat the CYA and algae problem.

1/ Ordered a Taylor K2006C online from poolvacparts Arizona
2/ I ditched the Trichlor & Dichlor, turned off the feeder and bought a big drum of liquid chlorine.
3/ I did multiple partial drains & refills (about 1/2 the pool was drained) lowering the CYA to approx 40 according to my testing.
4/ I balanced the PH to 7.5 and Alkalinity to 100
5/ Used the pool calculator to slam the pool with liquid chlorine, raised FC to 15ppm as suggested, ran pump constantly, brushing every few hours which unsettled lots of fine yellow/brown powder which was sitting on the pool floor.
6/ As I have no means of testing overnight loss I have been guessing by adding liquid chlorine each day and checking clarity of the water/brushing & filtering 24/7. The pool cover is on all the time I am not cleaning etc to help prevent sunlight chlorine loss.

The situation after a few days.

Water is fairly clear in the mornings before brushing but still has a green tint. There is a lot of this yellow/brown powder covering the whole pool floor and every time I brush it or vacuum the pool water becomes very cloudy, i'm sure it's too fine for the glass filter and comes back in the pool. The filter pressure hasn't increased at all even after running 24/7 for a few days.

Not sure what to do now as I can't do an overnight loss test to check whether the algae is dead or if chlorine is being used up.

1/ Should I therefore keep adding chlorine each day and checking the water clarity?
2/ If so any idea how much to add as an educated guess? is it safe to keep adding chlorine until the test kit arrives or algae clears up?
3/ Should I keep Brushing, vacuuming and filtering 24/7 as it doesn't seem to have made any difference so far?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I am testing now for chlorine and CYA with DPD Tablets and test strips not ideal so looking forward to testing with the new kit to get more accurate results.

Just to update, the water is looking much better today, quite clear but with brown/yellow powder covering the whole floor. I will continue to add about 1 quart 12% chlorine each day until the kit arrives and vacuum the pool to waste.

Should I vacuum now or wait for more to settle overnight? Dont want to keep draining & refilling more than i have to.

Austral Distributors in Auckland carry most of the Taylor reagents, so I'm pretty sure they will have the complete test kits. They are a wholesaler, so won't deal direct, but should be able to point out which of your local pool shops can order it in for you.

I have no idea how it would compare cost wise vs ordering online + freight.

EDIT: From their catalogue, the K2005C (not FAS-DPD) with 60mL solutions is NZD $467!

Thanks for that Jimmy, I will email them to see if I can find a local supplier. Although I suspect the pricing will be quite high. I just paid $195 NZD inclusive of shipping for the Taylor K-2006c which is a pretty good price compared to some of the so called proffesional test kits you can buy here in NZ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.