Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Right Speeds for Pool Cleaning? Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Right Speeds for Pool Cleaning? Filter?

After the start up of my equipment and pool, I have some questions about pump speeds.

I have an 18k gallon pool as noted in the sig. Easytouch automation so I can set speeds and alter the schedule, etc.

My filter is the Pentair Cartridge CCP 420.

I have noticed when running the pump at around 1000 RPM, there is basically no change in the pressure gauge.

Only at 2000 RPM I have found a small increase in the filter pressure gauge, as attached below.

[attachment=1:df6mqgtu]Gauge.jpg[/attachment:df6mqgtu]

I'm curious if these speeds are way too low to be considering cleaning the pool with, and if I should be using a higher speed at a lower amount of run time.

After reading some charts, and hearing 1 turn over of the pool water per day, 2 turn overs, etc... plus the time for the IC-40 to do it's work... I'm pretty confused over finding a general speed and run time I should be starting with for the pool.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Picture of the equipment also attached.
    [attachment=0:df6mqgtu]Equipment.jpg[/attachment:df6mqgtu]
    Pool:

18000 Gallon Ocean Blue Pebble Sheen, Oval Shape.

Pentair CCP 420 Filter, Intelliflo VS Pump, Easytouch Automation, IC-40 Chlorination, IntelliPH, Intellibrite Color Changing LED Light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Right Speeds for Pool Cleaning? Filter?

I assume you're not talking about running a cleaner, but instead you're talking about keeping the pool clean via circulation. If that's the case, then don't worry about how many turn overs there is. Concentrate on how the water looks and if the swg is happy (meaning it's not giving you a low flow warning).

As long as the swg is not giving you a low flow warning, then generally the lower speed you run the pump the more power you save. Id run it as low as I could (abot 1,000 rpm) and then adjust the time to keep the water clear and the FC where it needs to be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So the lack of pressure on the gauge of the filter doesn't really matter much?
    Pool:

Pentair CCP 420 Filter, Intelliflo VS Pump, Easytouch Automation, IC-40 Chlorination, IntelliPH, Intellibrite Color Changing LED Light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity
    So the lack of pressure on the gauge of the filter doesn't really matter much?
    At those low speeds and your largish cart filter it is not unusual for the pressure to be low. Next time you replace the gauge, I would go with a lower range like 20 psi so that you have better resolution. What is the pressure when you are running at ~2500 rpm range?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll check, but at 2000 rpm it's at about 1-2.
    Pool:

6. Back To Top    #6

At 2500 the current pressure is at 7.
    Pool:

7. Back To Top    #7

That seems plausible. You need to have a reference point so you know when to backwash. We recommend cleaning the filter when your pressure goes up 25% from your clean pressure. If you use 2500 rpm as your reference point (which seems reasonable) and if you clean filter pressure is 7 psi then you should clean the filter when the pressure goes up to ~9 psi.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity
    After the start up of my equipment and pool, I have some questions about pump speeds.

I have an 18k gallon pool as noted in the sig. Easytouch automation so I can set speeds and alter the schedule, etc.

My filter is the Pentair Cartridge CCP 420.

I have noticed when running the pump at around 1000 RPM, there is basically no change in the pressure gauge.

Only at 2000 RPM I have found a small increase in the filter pressure gauge, as attached below.

[attachment=1:3ies35ik]Gauge.jpg[/attachment:3ies35ik]

I'm curious if these speeds are way too low to be considering cleaning the pool with, and if I should be using a higher speed at a lower amount of run time.

After reading some charts, and hearing 1 turn over of the pool water per day, 2 turn overs, etc... plus the time for the IC-40 to do it's work... I'm pretty confused over finding a general speed and run time I should be starting with for the pool.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Picture of the equipment also attached.
    [attachment=0:3ies35ik]Equipment.jpg[/attachment:3ies35ik]
    I have pretty much the same set up except I dont have easy touch. So I only have 4 speeds available on the intelliflo. My observations are about the same as yours. Below is a rundown of what Im seeing on my 15K pool.

750 RPM - Power Consumption 98 watts - about 1 psi, could be slightly +/- .... Low Flow Alarm on IC 40
    1500 RPM - Power Consumption 304 watts - 2 psi - IC 40 OK
    2350 RPM - Power Consumption 994 watts - 9 psi - IC 40 OK
    3110 RPM - Power Consumption 2175 watts - 16 psi - IC 40 OK

since the pressure reading is so low on speed 1 and 2, when I want to check the filter pressure to if it needs cleaning or not, I kick the pump up to speed 3, 2350 RPM for better resolution.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!