Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Books?

1. Back To Top    #1

Books?

Are there any "swimming pools for dummy's" type books out there anyone would recommend? In getting overwhelmed with equipment choices for my new pool build. Information is power...

Pool TBD..
    IG gunite, probably SWG, solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Books?

Check out Pool School. There are a few articles on this topic. What questions do you have?

3. Back To Top    #3

Too many to list! Pool school was far too basic; there's not even a discussion of pros and cons of various pump options.
    I'm pretty sold on solar heat, but need some advice on DIY and brand specific pros and cons. The systems seem easy to DIY, except I'm not sure how to ensure I'm screwing into rafters.
    I'm also sold on salt water generator. Just need some brand specific pros and cons.
    All that said, in other endeavors I've really liked reading how to books to get a handle on a subject. They're no replacement for experience, but a good place to start...

Pool TBD..

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not aware of any books that will provide what you are looking for.
    But, there is a lot of information is past threads if you search for it.

If you ask specific questions ... no matter how many ... then you will get specific answers. BUT, you may be getting too picky. As long as you stick with any of the major brands, pumps, filters, SWG, etc are pretty comparable and often there is no "best" just personal preference.

Here are a couple tidbits that may or may not help:
    - Raypac gas heaters seem to have a good rep here
    - Pentair SWGs are limited to 20% increments ... unless you have one of their automation systems and then you get better control
    - If your electricity is relatively cheap and you do not need a lot of varying water flow rates, often a 2-speem pumps makes more sense than a VS pump

There are just a lot of "it depends" answers to many questions when there is not enough information.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beer tunnel
    no replacement for experience, but a good place to start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definition of Experience - What is learned just AFTER you needed it the most !!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

If there is/are a book(s) out there you'll find more information here than in any two of them combined. Good forums are plentiful in terms of information from all directions and this is the best pool forum on the net. If you look around and ask enough questions, you will surely find what you are looking for.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    - If your electricity is relatively cheap and you do not need a lot of varying water flow rates, often a 2-speem pumps makes more sense than a VS pump
    Are there 2-speed pumps that are more efficient than others? In other words, VS or 2-speed are the categories, is there much variation within the category or are they all pretty close? I read something about the design of the motors being a factor...
    Pool TBD..

8. Back To Top    #8

The electrical costs are really a function of the amount of water moved. All pumps with the same HP rating are not equal as some are designed to move less water. For example the Superflo lines of pumps is smaller than the Whisperflo line of pumps from Pentair.

Every pump has a performance curve and if the curves are the same then the pump is basically the same.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I will only add one more thing. You mention experience, and that is what you find in forums. There are already people talking about it, and dealing with it who have had the experience, and shared that info in the forums. If you so some reading, you can find lots of variation from real world use from many people versus the opinions and experience of one author.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree type your questions into the search bar theres a great chance you will find the topic discussed in several threads. If you dont well then start typing individual questions lol. We love posts!!
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart