Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Super II Pump Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Super II Pump Replacement

The bearings on my motor are going south so I need to replace the motor. i'm having a hard time finding the correct replacement motor online. I have looked at electric motor warehouse and inyopools.com.

It appears my motor is a two speed but there is no switch to choose high or low speed so i assume it runs only in high speed. From the label I don't know what HP it is either since the label says 2.5-.42.

My pool set up is:
    14,500 gallons
    Chlorine
    Plaster
    Spa
    Polaris 360
    Cartridge filter

Any suggestions on what pump to get? I was thinking the 1.5 HP energy efficient model but I'm not 100% sure and don't want to order the wrong motor.

14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Super II Pump Replacement

That is a 2.5 HP Uprated two speed motor. You can use a Century B979 as a replacement:

http://www.aqua-man.com/motorManDetails ... orID=32722
    http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017003500.htm
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I would definitely stick with a 2-speed motor and make it so you can run on low speed to save yourself some money on electricity.

Is there any reason you need such a large motor? water features / spa?

If not, get a smaller 2-speed motor with a matching impeller. You can not go to a smaller motor without also replacing the impeller (which should only be around $25)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by thabeezer
    My pool set up is:
    14,500 gallons
    Chlorine
    Plaster
    Spa
    Polaris 360
    Cartridge filter
    Must be the tryptophan still in the blood stream.

With a spa and a single pump, I would not lower the pump HP.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah, skipped right over that ... and did not see it in the signature

Still felt the need to point out that getting a smaller motor should not be done without a smaller impeller ... although as Mark says, with the spa you should not likely go smaller and thus should just get one of the motor he linked to.

You will also need a new shaft seal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

So a two speed 2.5 hp with new seals should do the trick? Why do you need the higher HP with a spa? The only time the spa runs alone is when it's being heated.
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Normally, spa jets require high flow rates for strong jets so the pump has to be large to support them. Unless of course you have a separate jet pump. Then you wouldn't need such a large pump for just circulation.
    Mark