Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to add algaecide twice -- 2nd time being now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to add algaecide twice -- 2nd time being now?

My pool cleaner guy is saying that he needs to add algaecide again -- that even though he threw it in when closing -- because the cover is porous, he needs to add in more at Thanksgiving and Easter. Is this a nice way to make an extra 50 or 75 bucks, or is this really going to help? I don't see how algae is going to do very well in the winter months -- I live in the Boston area.

Thanks!

TGB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to add algaecide twice -- 2nd time being now?

Welcome to TFP!!!

With the cold water temperature you likely have, depending on how the pool was closed, you should not need extra algaecide (you should not need any at all ever actually).

I would suggest reading a lot in this forum over the winter, especially Pool School. You should be able to learn to take care of the pool yourself and save a good bit of money.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Save the money and spend it on turkey and ham respectively.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Save the money and spend it on turkey and ham respectively.
    Thanks, guys! I will say that I've had algae problems in the past when getting lazy about adding shock, but that's in the summer. Seemed bizarre to me that there should be an issue when the average temp will drop to 35 degrees.

I will *definitely* come back here in the spring and figure out how me and my Pool Girl (i.e., gf that wishes she were a fish) can do all the maintenance on our own! (FYI, 12,000 gallon or so gunite pool, odd triangular shape which means I'll have questions about whether it's possible to find an automatic pool vacuum that will actually work ...)

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, TheGrumpyBuddha

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrumpyBuddha
    Thanks, guys! I will say that I've had algae problems in the past when getting lazy about adding shock, but that's in the summer.
    Make sure you study up in "pool school", link is always near upper right of page. Also take this time as an opportunity to get an appropriate test kit so you are ready to go when your water temp goes back above 60F. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Certainly spend some time reading Pool School. You will learn that if you maintain adequate chlorine (FC) ... which is a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level (see FC/CYA Chart) ... then algae can not start to grow. There is never a need for algaecide or a need to do a "weekly shock" as pool stores would have you believe.

When you open or if you every see algae, then you need to follow the SLAM Process which will safely clear up your pool.

If you are serious about taking control, then the second investment you will need to make (after committing to reading and learning) is to order one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Here are a couple articles to get you started:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Adding a "shock" product on anything remotely like a regular basis while common practice is another sign of a pool that is out of balance and not being well maintained, many of us here go for years without needing to go through a shock process (we call it SLAM to differentiate from the "shock" products on the market), and only do it after unexpected events (storm water in the pool, prolonged equipment failure, or possibly on opening in the spring if algae grew over the winter). So like the others said, take some time this winter and read the pool school link in the upper right a few times (most people get more out of it the 2nd or 3rd time through), and invest in a good test kit.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I was a new pool owner this year. When the pool had its first fill I added two things, enough stabilizer (CYA) to get me to 40 ppm and bleach. All I added the rest of the season everyday was bleach to keep my FC levels between 3-7 ppm and never let it fall below 3 ppm. Never had an algae outbreak. PH levels were between 7.2-7.4 all season. No need to fix that. Never had to add anything but bleach. Water was perfect.
    The whole key to preventing algae is maintaing the proper FC levels to your CYA levels. IMO that's the bottom line.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.