Greetings from Hawaii

Nov 30, 2013
Greetings from Hawaii. I have a pool that was installed about 5 to 6 years ago. It has paint for the inside surfaces. The paint is wearing out as is evidenced by the milky white stuff that comes off the sides and bottom when cleaned. Our 3rd pool guy installed a SWG. Plenty of Chlorine, but low PH according to my test kit. Seems it has high TA also?
The problem is that the pool is not clear anymore. The pool guys says I need to spend $20,000 to have the paint stripped off and install grout or concrete or some sort of rock material that will have the coloring added. The milky pool will not come clean. He says the particles are too small for the sand filter. That appears to be true. I cleaned the sand using a pressure washer down in the filter reservoir. That seemed to do a decent job of cleaning the old sand, but the milkiness will not go away. I suppose if the milkiness is actually small paint particles that have turned to dust, maybe the filter just can't grab hold of them? Short of spending $20K, what would be wrong with draining the pool and repainting the insides?

Attachments

• dirty pool.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Of course, any advice is simply guess work without a set of complete test results but I'll speculate a bit.

That the paint is chalking off is not uncommon. That alone may be the source of your cloudiness....tests results will help confirm that.

If that's the case, then preparing the surface properly and repainting may give you another few years of clear pool water and an enjoyable pool but it won't give you too much more than that. Time and again, we get posts on the forum of paint not really holding up well and the life expectancy seems to vary from around 2-4 years. Yours seems about average to maybe a bit above average.

So, repainting is an alternative and will sure save some money but it is not a long term cure past maybe a few years.

I was told that the pool guy got a quote to etch back the grout or plaster or whatever is behind the paint, then-grout it using material that has the color built in. So, it is a morter type of material with coloring added. The pool guy said it would last 10 years. I am not impressed. Let's see....... my old paint lasted for 5 years at a cost of ? Maybe $2000 if I do it myself, or spend $15K for something that will last twice as long. I am curious if the new pool guy screwed things up by going to a SWG instead of Chlorine tablets. The old pool guy that went back to the mainland says you never use a salt system on a painted pool!
Comments welcome. How hard can it be to repaint the pool?

Gunite is concrete and forms the shell of your pool. The masonry product applied to make the surface smooth and waterproof is plaster. Do you have any idea why it was painted in the first place?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support