"closing" pool in the south

Jun 30, 2013
I live in New Orleans, and am finally getting around to closing my pool... It has been several weeks since we could swim, but the cooler temperatures have kept algae from getting too out of control, but the leaves are starting to pile up.

I am currently running the robo cleaner in cycles to get the leaves out, but I am not sure where to go next. I have read several winterizing guides here, but we do not really get 'winter' and there is very little chance we will get near actual freezing temperatures.

With that said, do I still need to disconnect everything related to the pump/hose? I have never done that before and would rather not unless it is really required. My plan is to have a company come in the spring to inspect all the equipment properly before I start using it again.

I ordered a cover today so my plan was to spend the weekend getting the leaves out and shocking the pool until everything is clear and then cleaning/backwashing the pump (basically what the guides say to do).

Thanks for any help!

Most people in your climate do not close the pool, they just reduce the pump run time. The cover will also help reduce your chlorine usage, though you will need to pull it back occasionally to add chlorine at a return.

Re: "closing" pool in the south

First I would take care of the algae with a SLAM. Follow the SLAM process to the T.
Where you are located I think you can leave everything hooked up. After your done with the SALM process cover the pool up and you should be good. Your FC levels will hold longer with the pool covered and cooler water temps. Maybe run pump for an hour a day and just maintain FC levels for your CYA level.
If you do get a really cold spell just run the pump for awhile. It would take some very cold temps for an extended period of time for your plumbing to freeze solid.

Agreeing with others--no need to "close" your pool in New Orleans.

During the few times temperatures drop to 32 or lower, run your pump as long as the temperature is freezing or below. If your pool has any sort of a timer or automation, it may already have freeze protection that will automatically do this for you. If not, turn it on manually to prevent water from freezing in the the pipes and equipment. Flowing water will not freeze at the temperatures you get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.