Where to locate the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

drb

Sep 15, 2013
Buffalo,NY
I have 230 running out of my main electrical panel to a outside sub-panel for the pool. I know that different towns/cities may have different codes but where is the preferred location for the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

I have a GFI CB in the main panel inside the house, one electrian said that this is all that I need. Another one told me the GFI CB's should be in the outside panel for each circuit. Which is correct?

Also if I do put the GFI CB in the outside sub-panel do I only put the neutral [white] wire from the CB to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. There is no need to run a neutral from any of the equipment since the equipment is all 230 and has no neutral.

I am just getting the needed parts together and will have an electrician to a final inspection before I turn any power on.

Thanks for any help
Daren

In general the NEC (national electrical code) requires a means of disconnect (usually a breaker or physical disconnect switch) to be somewhere in line of sight of the equipment (in this case pump motor) that it operates, there is no requirement on distance though, so it could be right next to it or a hundred yards away as long as it is line of sight.

Either location for the gfci will work. However if you put it on the sub panel feed every time it trips, it trips the power to the entire panel so trouble shooting is harder, and everything will be without power until the culprit is found.

<<Also if I do put the GFI CB in the outside sub-panel do I only put the neutral [white] wire from the CB to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. There is no need to run a neutral from any of the equipment since the equipment is all 230 and has no neutral.>>

Yes, put the Neutral (white) wire on the N Buss. The 220 equip will not need a Neutral connected to it.
If you have a pool light, 110V GFCI outlet, Patio Lights and switch or whatever other 110V items, then those will be connected to the Neutral Buss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.