Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to locate the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to locate the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

I have 230 running out of my main electrical panel to a outside sub-panel for the pool. I know that different towns/cities may have different codes but where is the preferred location for the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

I have a GFI CB in the main panel inside the house, one electrian said that this is all that I need. Another one told me the GFI CB's should be in the outside panel for each circuit. Which is correct?

Also if I do put the GFI CB in the outside sub-panel do I only put the neutral [white] wire from the CB to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. There is no need to run a neutral from any of the equipment since the equipment is all 230 and has no neutral.

I am just getting the needed parts together and will have an electrician to a final inspection before I turn any power on.

Thanks for any help
    Daren
    DRB
    16x32 20K IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 w/ 2-speed 1.5HP Hayward TriStar pump with a .75HP impeller installed, AutoPilot Digg-220

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to locate the GFI circuit breaker for pump?

In general the NEC (national electrical code) requires a means of disconnect (usually a breaker or physical disconnect switch) to be somewhere in line of sight of the equipment (in this case pump motor) that it operates, there is no requirement on distance though, so it could be right next to it or a hundred yards away as long as it is line of sight.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Either location for the gfci will work. However if you put it on the sub panel feed every time it trips, it trips the power to the entire panel so trouble shooting is harder, and everything will be without power until the culprit is found.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

<<Also if I do put the GFI CB in the outside sub-panel do I only put the neutral [white] wire from the CB to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. There is no need to run a neutral from any of the equipment since the equipment is all 230 and has no neutral.>>

Yes, put the Neutral (white) wire on the N Buss. The 220 equip will not need a Neutral connected to it.
    If you have a pool light, 110V GFCI outlet, Patio Lights and switch or whatever other 110V items, then those will be connected to the Neutral Buss.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!