60,000 gallon pool pump replacement???

medets

Nov 29, 2013
Hello board,
I recently purchased a home that was previously owned by a pool builder. He built a show pool (which was part of the reason we bought the home) It is huge. It has two Pentair Whisperflow 2.0G 1.30 pumps (only one seems to be working- the other sounds like the bearings are going out and it leaks at the seal between the motor and the pump when it kicks on and off) There are 2 sand filters. It has two working water falls. I am looking for a more efficient system both on the pool and especially the light bill. I would assume there are much better ways to maintain my pool. I thank all of you in advance for your advice. My main concern first, is replacing the pumps and/or filter system or going to one pump etc. The previous owner said the second pump was just a back up. I will try to post pix of the pool and pumps. Thank you again.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 100
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 100
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 100
The first thing to do is figure out which pump runs what. The waterfall pumps are likely sized for the waterfall so you probably don't want to downsize those or your waterfalls might look like dribbles rather than falls. If there is a waterfall shared with the returns, then you might want to just change to a two speed or VS speed pump so that you can run at high flow for the waterfalls and lower speeds for just circulation.

Also, is there a spa too?

There is a spa, however they are open jets and run off another switch (previous owner said the actuator switch is broken and needs to be rerun looks pneumatic? ) I will try to take a picture of the machine? Thanks for the help.

If the pumps operate in parallel, then you probably will just want to fix the broken motor. You can replace the motor with a two speed so you can operate at least one of the pumps on low speed (other needs to be off) for just circulation and filtering. The pumps are probably sized for the water features and spa so downsizing would not be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.