Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool stains from leafs

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool stains from leafs

I just installed a pool and we do not have an automatic pool clear. We came back from vacation and we had leafs. When I removed them it had stained the mar site. How do I remove those stains?

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Pool stains from leafs

Welcome to TFP!

The leaf stains should clear on their own within a couple of days or so. This happens to my pool on occasion and they always go away on their own. Just make sure you have the proper amount of chlorine in your pool according to your CYA level. Here is a reference: Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

As Bo said, chlorine will cure the organic stains. If you want to speed up the process, just increase the FC a little above target .
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup. At the peak of summer I get a few of these little comet tail like stains (1 inch by 1/4 inch). They don't brush off, but they do fade in a few days as the chlorine oxidizes them. One day I carefully swam down to a fresh one and it was little bug turd or something similar (ugh). Anyway, the point is organic stains organic and leaves are very organic.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.