Clogged main drain, may be a matchbox car.

chris fox

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 3, 2013
Phoenix area
I have been dealing with a clogged main drain off and on for the past 10 months. Can't fix it and neither can a pool service guy.
I have a paramount in ground cleaning system on its own pump. My main filter pump controls the skimmer and main drain. I am getting 20psi at the filter.
My skimmer has two holes one for skimmer and other for cleaning system. Currently no diverter or rotating teardrop plate to adjust flow.
Ok my problem, the deck leaf catcher basin does not appear to pull water through from the main drain. No rushing water coming in from one of the side holes just below the clear lid, just vacuum which is not allowing me to rotate the lid when the pump is on. Of course the basket is empty.
I have tried to unclog the bottom drain and I have paid a pool guy out to clear it. When the pool guy came and after the lines were blown out I saw water coming in from the side hole just below the lid found some debris - thought I was good to go that was 5 days ago.
Yesterday I found the basket was empty and no water coming into the leaf catch again. Same thing just vacuum with no water rushing in.

My guess something is in the pipe from drain to leaf catch and this piece of something prevents full suction - some stuff gets through after the lines get blown then it build up again.
My only thought is a matchbox car from the kids and it's caught just right at an elbow! Earlier in the year I saw a few cars in the pool found some in the skimmer and in and around the drain and the kids heard about!!

So what is the best way to clear this? I am thinking something like a powered snake or even rent a camera scope. Would a snake tear up the PVC without proper person using it i.e. plumber? I don't want a broken main line :lol: but thinking about renting one?

Thanks in advance!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.