Old house, old pool, can we keep it?

Nov 27, 2013
Hello,

We are moving into an old, but fixed up farmhouse, in which the owners haven't lived there for 5-6 years. They have been renting the house out and don't believe that the pool has been taken care of for that amount of time. It is a large above ground pool that a deck has been built around. It's a great pool and set up, but can we keep it? I don't think the pump has been on or it has been covered the whole time. There is greenish/black water standing in it. To say the pool is a swamp is an understatement. Is it possible to save the pool? What would we have to do? I don't want to have to pay for an expensive pool repair service to come out for them to say, you should just get rid of it. Thank you in advance for your help :)

Welcome to tfp, bdiller :wave:

If it is holding water, then the pool likely will be savable, but you will also have to evaluate the equipment. Do you know if the pump runs?

This is a must read for you: http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Also, make sure you read through the rest of pool school (link is always near upper right of page), here are some good articles:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Hi welcome to TFP! How high is the water in the pool? Most parts can be replaced. If the pool is full and holding water then the liner is probably ok, but it can be replaced or patched it is torn. If the walls are in good shape, no creases or missing up rights then the structure should be good. If there is rust or holes in the wall they can be repaired or patched.

Check and see if there are any plugs in the return and skimmer. Check the setting on the filter and make sure it is on filter or recirculate. Check the pump and make sure the strainer pot has a basket inside, the drain plug is snug and the strainer pot is full of water, then you can try turning on the pump to see if it works. If the pump doesn't work it can be replaced.

Take a few pictures of the pool and equipment and we can tell you if anything stands out as a problem.

Thank you everyone for your help! This is such a great resource for us first time home buyers and pool owners. I've looked through those links and they are very helpful. I won't be able to take pictures for a couple days but I will post them. Should we drain the pool since that water has most likely not been treated for 5-6 years? If so how do you do this? Then would we clean it? Also, we live in Ohio what's the best way to winterize our pool? What should we be doing now? Thanks again everyone! This is going to be such a great site for us :)

We also have a hot tub that comes with the house that looks like a pipe was blown on it. Where would be a good place to get replacement parts. My fiance is a great at fixing things, we just don't know how or where to go.

You should not fully drain a vinyl liner pool, especially one with an older/neglected liner.

Here is the pool school article on winterizing agps: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/winterizing and closing your above group pool At this point, I wouldn't worry about cleaning up the water until spring...so I would skip the chlorine (and polyquat) additions mentioned in the article. Also, you don't need to worry about covering the pool this year.

Ditto to all of the above. I'd spend the winter learning as much as you can and get a good test kit. Start the cleanup as early as possible in the spring - basically as soon as it's warm enough for you to tolerate being outside and when the threat of freezing is gone. It'll be too cold to swim, so there won't be the impatience of getting the pool ready in a certain amount of time.. It will be a much less stressful process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.